starting strength gym

Thread: Squats Are Hard – But the Bench Will Kill You! | Carl Raghavan

Default Squats Are Hard – But the Bench Will Kill You! | Carl Raghavan

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    "You could call this article White Noise 2.0, as in many ways it’s a follow-up to one of my earlier articles, The White Noise of Heavy.​ I wanted to go into more detail on two of the lifts in particular: the squat and the bench press. Both are challenging, but in very different ways."

Read article

I pulled this article up right after my first bench work set. I'm not even close to benching a PR or "shaky weight", but for some reason today, before my first warmup sets, I dropped the bar onto the safeties just to check the clearance over my throat. It's good to know that they're still in the right spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    ... I dropped the bar onto the safeties just to check the clearance over my throat.
    You ok, buddy?

This reminds me of the cop demonstrating the effectiveness of his pistol's safety by pointing the gun at his head and pointing the trigger. Spoiler alert: he died. Hopefully rather than dropping the bar, you gently lowered it both for your sake and the sake of the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchless View Post
    You ok, buddy?
    Perfectly. Thanks. It was the empty bar, purposefully put down on the safeties to verify clearance. Not that anything changes between bench height and safety height, but neck thickness...

I'm old and train alone in my garage. I have safeties on my rack but I think my timid 1-2lb increases in weight on the bench during LP are due to having no real spotter in addition to just being a pussy.

The linked article, The White Noise of Heavy, is terrific and should be required reading for everyone 8-10 weeks into their first NLP.