starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark Rippetoe Teaches You How to Make Texas Chili | Texas Cafe Classics

Default Mark Rippetoe Teaches You How to Make Texas Chili | Texas Cafe Classics

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip demonstrates the "fast" way to make Texas Chili.

Enjoyed. Got a few points and questions

1) @ 35 minutes, how much water did you add?
    2) have you used cornstarch to thicken ever, or just flour?
    3) good work with the editing... Looked like one of the cameras was jacked up a bit,and the team was able to work around it.
    4) looks like the texas Cafe method of hygiene was about the same as Palios Bros. If people only knew.....
    5) are the addition of beans a 'New Mexico' thing?

1. Enough to cover the meat completely.
    2. Cornstarch produces a different texture. I did it once.
    3. We had a problem.
    4. It was. I rely on heat to solve any problems.
    5. Beans are a New York thing.

Thanks for doing that, the chili looked great and I am looking forward to trying to make it.

Did you say you were using a Sabatier knife? If so what is your opinion? I am looking to get my wife a new set.

Have you ever tried using beef stock instead of water for this (around the 35 min mark) and if so, how was it?

"Chili should have no recognizable pieces of anything in it except the meat." I am in total agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear59 View Post
    Did you say you were using a Sabatier knife? If so what is your opinion? I am looking to get my wife a new set.
    Get her some Dalstrongs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
    Have you ever tried using beef stock instead of water for this (around the 35 min mark) and if so, how was it?
    I made the beef stock when I browned the meat and deglazed the pot.

I think this was addressed in the video, but not sure. Do the cuts of beef matter at all? Or can we get the least expensive?

Does it have to be all beef? Or can the cuts be of any red meat? Could you use pork, as an example?

And for the ground meat, 80-20? And also, could you use pork, or any other meat? (I don't think I have access to venicen).

As I said in the video, the meat doesn't matter in chili, since all you taste is the spices. You can make chili out of shoes, if can boil them long enough to get tender. Pork is fine. Feral hog is fine. Venison is fine. Tough beef is fine. The only thing I wouldn't use is fish.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    "Chili should have no recognizable pieces of anything in it except the meat." I am in total agreement.
    Sometimes the Mrs's cooking has nothing recognizable, and I am in total agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    As I said in the video, the meat doesn't matter in chili, since all you taste is the spices. You can make chili out of shoes, if can boil them long enough to get tender. Pork is fine. Feral hog is fine. Venison is fine. Tough beef is fine. The only thing I wouldn't use is fish.
    When you say "gamey" I can relate that to kangaroo a very lean meat, which to me when compared with feed lot fed beef tastes gamey due to the grasses they eat, they taste earthy. However with the amount of spices you used and as you say the spice would cancel out any meat or "game" meat taste in that Texan stew.

Is there a Texan dish with underground mutton (rabbit)?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast