starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark Rippetoe Teaches You How to Make Texas Chili | Texas Cafe Classics

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Is there a Texan dish with underground mutton (rabbit)?
    I'd have to kill it, you can't buy it commercially here. Can you buy rabbit in the store there?

Thank you for sharing this video. Your chili looks amazing. I prepare mine similarly, but use a mix of whole dried chilis that I reconstitute in hot water then scrape off the skins, leaving a flavorful chili paste. This is a lot more work than using store bought chili powder and doesn't meet your fast description, but the flavor is amazing. For the liquid, I use the leftover chili water and some beer.

I've really enjoyed each of your Texas Cafe Classics episodes so far and hope they continue. Will you consider doing future episodes on egg variants for breakfast, pot roast, meatloaf, and chicken and dumplings?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'd have to kill it, you can't buy it commercially here. Can you buy rabbit in the store there?
    I can get it here at my farmers market, it's a dry meat, so moist heat cooking is best.

My dad breeds and raises meat rabbits. It's an incredibly boring meat. Very lean and very bland.

Rabbit can be braised like this, but you’re talking a relatively short cooking time. The meat is extremely lean without an enormous amount of connective tissue to break down. Think about a very scrawny chicken with less flavor.

So, to have it be Robert Santana approved, I'm going to target the lowest fat % meat and ground meat I can find. But the lowering of fat content will, no doubt have some impact on the taste, and maybe even the consistency.

Time to find some new cuts.

If anyone in Tampa reads this, is there a place to get venison, rabbit, alligator, etc.? I usually go to publix, and the one I go to has never had wild game that I've seen.

I'm more excited to give this recipe a go, WAY more than the other two...and those are delicious looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    My dad breeds and raises meat rabbits. It's an incredibly boring meat. Very lean and very bland.
    But the livers are the best I've ever had.

Yes, rabbit is available from various suppliers, myself personally I just stick to beef, pork and mutton. My son in law though will smoke anything related to meat. The Mrs has a cast iron stomach and she will eat anything as long as it is spiced up. Your Texas style Chili looks interesting, it is somewhat like the wife cooks from time to time, except some of her meat dishes have included in the mix a plant leaf called Gungora (Roselle) which adds a real tart taste to the spices she adds, the appearance is dark green, looks horrible, but taste is good.

Her powered chili is extremely hot, a tea spoon or two is enough to blow your head off. Sometime she uses chili flakes, utterly lethal, the fumes off the cooking stings my eyes and cause respiratory stress, a small amount would kill your mother in law. Anyhow enjoyed the demo of your Texas style chili.

Yarra Valley rabbit meat suppliers Melbourne Australia for rabbit meat suppliers and distributors Victoria Australia.

Farming meat rabbits: an introduction | Farmstyle Australia

Venison, Rabbit, Goat, Kangaroo and Crocodile Meat

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Some recipes from Australia for Rabbit (though not strictly Australian,but from migrants who brought the recipes with them when they migrated here), which during the war years when meat was in short supply free range rabbit was the added protein. Rabbit a kind of survival food.

Rabbit recipes and Rabbit food : SBS Food

Rabbit - All recipes Australia NZ

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    So, to have it be Robert Santana approved, I'm going to target the lowest fat % meat and ground meat I can find. But the lowering of fat content will, no doubt have some impact on the taste, and maybe even the consistency.

Time to find some new cuts.

If anyone in Tampa reads this, is there a place to get venison, rabbit, alligator, etc.? I usually go to publix, and the one I go to has never had wild game that I've seen.

I'm more excited to give this recipe a go, WAY more than the other two...and those are delicious looking.
    You’re going to have a hard time finding rabbit in most supermarkets. You’re going to have to look for a good private butcher. They’re mostly farmed, so if they don’t have a local breeder, it’ll likely be coming from D’Artagnan. If that’s the case, just order from D’Artagnan direct. Be warned; their rabbits aren’t cheap.

But the livers are the best I've ever had.
    My mother pan roasts/shallow braises two rabbits on Easter; the liver is one of the keys to that dish.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast