starting strength gym

Thread: Using a Foot Platform to Eliminate Back Pain in the Bench Press | Andrew Lewis

Default Using a Foot Platform to Eliminate Back Pain in the Bench Press | Andrew Lewis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    "Most flat benches sold are between 16 and 20 inches tall. A short-legged person may find that they are not able to effectively plant their feet during the bench press and create a tight arch in the upper back – both of which are desirable. The anterior pelvic tilt created by their short legs might also cause lumbar overextension, and consequently low-back pain."

Read article

thanks! andrew - off to Home Depot for the wood right now.

You're welcome. The non-slip tape should be in the paintbrush aisle next to the solvents (near all of the Gorilla tape and 3M tape). Have fun.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Is there anything wrong with simply placing my toes on the horizontal bar at the bottom of the bench? It’s 2 inches high.

Your feet should be in contact with a single surface. Putting your toes or any part of your foot on the foot of the bench will not produce full contact - it will not be stable. Additionally, there's almost no chance (unless you're 3'6") that you'll have your head and shins in the correct position with this set up.

I'd be willing to entertain the idea if you show me a picture or video. I suspect I know what you mean, but I might be confused.
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 12-28-2020 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Units
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com