starting strength gym

Thread: Strength Training to Reverse Type 2 Diabetes

Default Strength Training to Reverse Type 2 Diabetes

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting Strength Houston member Ken Roberts discusses his health improvements, strength gains, and training experience with coach Josh Wells.

What macros did Ken follow during the 6 months discussed in the video? I would like to share this video and the additional information with a friend who's been diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes and does not want to take medication. But is having a hard time getting her A1C down with diet restictions alone. TIA

I am a type IIIc, so my problem is pancreatic insufficiency and not insulin resistance. I can say that getting back into strength training has cut my insulin requirements by more than half, and I cant imagine a type II wouldn't see a similar impact. That's a reduction in basal insulin requirements, not just adjusting the bolus dose to let it get a bit higher around workouts. There seems to be an increase in insulin sensitivity and/or glucose uptake that lasts a day or two.

I can't say much about macros really, and what I do wouldn't really apply to your friend. I have to limit my fat intake or I'd probably be on a low carb, high fat type diet. Maybe even keto if that is what it took to keep my BG low and off of insulin.