starting strength gym

Thread: Running out Texas Method- First Fail

Default Running out Texas Method- First Fail

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First real fail that is with squats yesterday I had done 405 for 5 the week prior. I had been making 10 pound jumps and easily completing them since 365. I had failed a press 5 rep max but I misgrooved it and let it get to low on my chest. This fail with 415 was 100% strength. I went into the workout trying to just get 5 again but knew i should be easily able to get 3 for 2 sets like the program requires.

First set i get 2, then 1. I didnt fail but it was a good five second grind atleast. I am trying to figure out why the steep drop off. The week before I did a deadlift 3 rep max of 455. And based on how it went i loaded 500. It was the first day of the new year and 500 is the weight i missed at my first meet. After that 500 it was hard to complete 295 for 5 sets of 5. I did 3 sets. As of january first i had been on a slight surplus maybe gaining half a pound a week, I have a 43 inch waist now and my cholesterol was high so I am going on a deficit now. Im 6'1 233.

The only other thing is i have been under higher and higher stress with work and with my wife. However these are the same conditions that allowed my to hit 10 pound PR's weekly before.

That sucks. At least you got some sick PRs before it went south, even with such large jumps.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com