starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard chalk reccomendation?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just to add another option, check the clearance racks at outdoor stores for climbing chalk. Most of it is 100% Magnesium Carbonate.

I stumbled across this option a few years ago. The brand is Metolius, available on Amazon in loose bags. I prefer their blocks, which keep it under control while applying, yet is easy to crumble if I need to. I used this in a commercial gym for a couple of years and never had any complaints from the staff, even though I'm pretty sure I was the only lifter to use chalk there. Now, it keeps my garage cleaner than loose chalk would.

Pardon the interruption but what do some gyms have against chalk?

Before I got my rack at home I use to workout at a small very conservative Christian college "health club" that catered to students and senior citizens in the community. Surprisingly they had a nice York rack, York platform and a bucket of chalk. I just figured if they allowed chalk, anyone would.

It's probably the dust. They'd rather not deal with the extra cleaning.

Also likely a few bad actors that insist on clapping their hands to make a dust cloud rather than keep the chalk on their hands where it's useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    Pardon the interruption but what do some gyms have against chalk?
    It can be messy. A lot of "people" over use it, get dust and crumbs everywhere, the has to be cleaned up by staff.
    Some people (women, etc) might not care for chalk drying out their hands when they have to use the barbell after you.

I honestly wonder if many of these My-Gym-Doesnt-Allow-Chalk-What-Do? threads are the result of a guy who doesn't know how to intelligently, or discretely, use chalk.
    (Rip mentions liquid chalk on last page, which is one of the right answers).

But sure, blame it on the gym-bros ruining the chalk thing for everybody at the gym.

Likewise, I wonder if many of the My-Gym-Doesnt-Allow-Dropping-Plates/Powercleans threads are the resultant of a person that doesn't know how to drop or lower the bar to the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's probably the dust. They'd rather not deal with the extra cleaning.
    This.

I've also found that attitude changes things a lot. If you leave hand prints on the rack [or plates], wipe them down yourself when you are done. If you leave an excess in the knurling, clean it out for the next person so the next person doesn't get chalk on their workout clothing that they can complain about. If you drop an excess on the floor, seek out an employee, identify the issue and ask for a damp mop; I've never had to actually mop, but have found that they appreciate the honesty and softens their attitude about it.

Just like re-racking weights. Be a decent human being about it and you shouldn't have a problem.

Unless you're at one of those places that has a blaring alarm whenever someone sets down a weight "too heavily."
    Last edited by Bill Anders; 01-08-2021 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added "[or plates]"

What about shin blood on the knurling after a deadlift set?
    I found that on my own bar today and threw myself out of my own home gym for not cleaning up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    This.

I've also found that attitude changes things a lot. If you leave hand prints on the rack [or plates], wipe them down yourself when you are done. If you leave an excess in the knurling, clean it out for the next person so the next person doesn't get chalk on their workout clothing that they can complain about. If you drop an excess on the floor, seek out an employee, identify the issue and ask for a damp mop; I've never had to actually mop, but have found that they appreciate the honesty and softens their attitude about it.

Just like re-racking weights. Be a decent human being about it and you shouldn't have a problem.

Unless you're at one of those places that has a blaring alarm whenever someone sets down a weight "too heavily."
    Yep, this.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    I got Spider Chalk last summer and am still on my first block. Very dense, doesn't crumble (once it smooths out after a couple workouts), and is made in the USA.
    Got this after seeing this post. Can confirm it has been very good, still barely used the first block and is available on amazon in the UK.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12