starting strength gym

Thread: Hello - New Guy and Flexibility Question

Default Hello - New Guy and Flexibility Question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone! I started lifting weights again about three months ago. I'm 37 now (~6' 230 lbs) and just felt like it was the best option for my long term health and well being. Played HS football (shocking, my coach didn't know what he was talking about when it came to lifting) and dabbled with running and a somewhat serious stretch of triathlons since then.

I just started the Starting Strength program this past Monday (I got the book for Christmas). My general question is regarding shoulder flexibility. I'm not even close to being able to get into correct position on the squat and press. Will my shoulders loosen up quickly? I don't want to get to lifting higher weights with bad form. I'll look around the board for some more info, but thought I'd drop in and say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorker View Post
    Hi everyone! I started lifting weights again about three months ago. I'm 37 now (~6' 230 lbs) and just felt like it was the best option for my long term health and well being. Played HS football (shocking, my coach didn't know what he was talking about when it came to lifting) and dabbled with running and a somewhat serious stretch of triathlons since then.

I just started the Starting Strength program this past Monday (I got the book for Christmas). My general question is regarding shoulder flexibility. I'm not even close to being able to get into correct position on the squat and press. Will my shoulders loosen up quickly? I don't want to get to lifting higher weights with bad form. I'll look around the board for some more info, but thought I'd drop in and say hello.
    Welcome and good luck with your strength journey. As to shoulder flexibility, a good starting point would be to search the forums for "Horn stretch", a stretch created(?) by Coach Paul Horn.

Welcome! That's great you're lifting and want to do the technique right. You'll make a lot of progress on the Starting Strength linear progression.

Range of motion improves over time, but I'd be curious to see your squat and press technique. A lot of flexibility issues are actually technique issues. Can you post a video of each?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Here's the only one I have as of now. And yes...I do like America....

I'm not even close to being able to get into correct position on the squat and press. Will my shoulders loosen up quickly? I don't want to get to lifting higher weights with bad form.
    I've seen guys with pretty good squat form spend several minutes stretching themselves into position at the start of a squat session. Taking a wider grip on the first warmup set is common. Getting into the low bar position can take some time and patience even if your shoulders aren't messed up. If they are messed up then you need an expert to help figure out what you CAN do.

Here's the only one I have as of now.
    Your wiggling after you get under the bar tells me you still have room to get tighter. Narrow your hands more. You also need your hands against bar, not under it.
    The squat grip will produce an extremely tight feeling in the chest and shoulders but should not produce pain. The squat grip is not comfortable.

This video will help you.

Notice how their hands are against the bar as opposed to directly under the bar.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I dunno, would raising the rack a hole or two make getting into the initial position under the bar a bit easier? I don't think it would make re-racking any more difficult.

Thank you everyone for the pointers and feedback!

Found the Horn Stretch and will make that a priority.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Your wiggling after you get under the bar tells me you still have room to get tighter. Narrow your hands more. You also need your hands against bar, not under it.
    The squat grip will produce an extremely tight feeling in the chest and shoulders but should not produce pain. The squat grip is not comfortable.

This video will help you.

Notice how their hands are against the bar as opposed to directly under the bar.
    Good video. It shows how different grip widths are taken by different sized lifters. It also shows how most lifters have to work the bar down their back in steps as they stretch into position. Except for young Chase of course.