starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Rippetoe Makes Fried Okra | Texas Cafe Classics

Default Mark Rippetoe Makes Fried Okra | Texas Cafe Classics

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark Rippetoe makes fried okra the way it was made at the Floral Heights Cafe in Wichita Falls.

Looks freaking amazing. You are right about us Northern Yankees !not knowing about okra. I will look for the frozen bags, I am not sure if they even sell the frozen bags up here.

I married an Italian girl. There is no such thing as “cooking” oil or vegetable oil. Olive oil for everything.

Damn when that was plated and burnt like that I would eat the whole thing.

My Mrs grows and cooks Okra, she calls them "Lady Fingers". She fries them as you do, but instead of pepper she throws in chilli powder. I have eaten them and they are sticky as you say and they do get stringy if you let them stay in the ground too long. I have eaten them in India as well. She also cooks a vegetable called "Drumsticks" which grow from a tree. They are a bit like Okra, but too woody for me.

Yellow squash she mixes with eggs and makes omelets. I reckon your Daddy would have given her a job in the cafe if she were in Texas in those days. She can handle all that spicy type foods.

When I see you cooking I think of the old days, yes I know we can't live in the past, but life was a lot simpler then.

There was a recipe when I was a kid called Bubble and Squeak that my mum use to make, it was the left over baked vegetables from the previous day that was mashed up and fried in the pan. It consisted of peas, carrots, pumpkin and potatoes made into small cakes and fried, in those days we never chucked out food, left over meat was battered and fried also, they were called fritters. I like frying bananas, cut them in half, fry them till browned and eat them with ice cream. But I have to get a decent cast iron pan, I use to have one but I lost it some where, so I toyed around with those non-stick pans which after a while are useless. You cannot beat cast iron for cooking. Anyway thanks for the recipe.

I don’t know that I’m an okra guy, but based on how damn good the other recipes have been I’ll be making this soon

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    My Mrs grows and cooks Okra, she calls them "Lady Fingers". She fries them as you do, but instead of pepper she throws in chilli powder. I have eaten them and they are sticky as you say and they do get stringy if you let them stay in the ground too long. I have eaten them in India as well. She also cooks a vegetable called "Drumsticks" which grow from a tree. They are a bit like Okra, but too woody for me.

Yellow squash she mixes with eggs and makes omelets. I reckon your Daddy would have given her a job in the cafe if she were in Texas in those days. She can handle all that spicy type foods.

When I see you cooking I think of the old days, yes I know we can't live in the past, but life was a lot simpler then.

There was a recipe when I was a kid called Bubble and Squeak that my mum use to make, it was the left over baked vegetables from the previous day that was mashed up and fried in the pan. It consisted of peas, carrots, pumpkin and potatoes made into small cakes and fried, in those days we never chucked out food, left over meat was battered and fried also, they were called fritters. I like frying bananas, cut them in half, fry them till browned and eat them with ice cream. But I have to get a decent cast iron pan, I use to have one but I lost it some where, so I toyed around with those non-stick pans which after a while are useless. You cannot beat cast iron for cooking. Anyway thanks for the recipe.
    Bubble and squeak is good English food you can get in any greasy spoon cafe.

Love okra, usually have it in bhindi bhaji from a curry house

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    Bubble and squeak is good English food you can get in any greasy spoon cafe.

Love okra, usually have it in bhindi bhaji from a curry house
    You mean I was eating pommy food when I was a kid? I always had a suspicion we had some English blood in our background. Grandma reckoned we were all square heads. She had a bunch of old German marching music. When I asked my Dad where did we come from he said "don't ask you may not like the answers"!

This Yank has a lot of family in central Alabama, always loved my great Aunt’s fried okra.

Looking forward to making your dad’s fried okra and squash dish Rip!!!

Made this tonight. Goes perfectly with hamburger steak and corn bread.

Where can I get my Starting Strength Texas Cafe Classics apron?

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    You mean I was eating pommy food when I was a kid? I always had a suspicion we had some English blood in our background. Grandma reckoned we were all square heads. She had a bunch of old German marching music. When I asked my Dad where did we come from he said "don't ask you may not like the answers"!
    Bubble & squeak recipe - BBC Good Food

starting strength coach development program
    What did I do wrong? (See pics)
    Fried Okra Gone Wrong - Album on Imgur
    I ended up with soft (not burnt) okra and squash and a thick layer of burnt corn meal on the bottom of the pan. I’m still scrubbing it off.
    Is it important not to stir once the corn meal is added? It seemed like Rip stirred in the video.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast