starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean Grip Deadlift

Default Clean Grip Deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark,

I am curious about your opinion on clean grip/stance deadlifts (wider stance and grip, lower hips, more upright torso).

Do you see an application for these? I have tried some recently and like how "athletic" they feel, particularly while using lifting shoes rather than flat-soled shoes.

I anticipate you having one of two views:

A.) Since they are performed with a slightly lighter weight than the more "hinging" deadlift used by starting strength, they do not fulfill the criteria for the greatest amount of weight used over the longest range of motion.

or:

B.) They are similar enough to to a standard deadlift, and for the purpose of a general strength athlete, it is a perfectly valid variation.

Looking forward to your position.

Stay strong!

30 y/o M
    6'4'' 230lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 345
    Squat: 1x3 @ 315
    Bench: 1x5 @ 205
    Press: 3x3 @ 145

Third of these Olympic lifting questions recently. The children at USAW must be discussing our foolish physics analysis over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatobot View Post
    I have tried some recently and like how "athletic" they feel, particularly while using lifting shoes rather than flat-soled shoes.
    How would you define "athletic"?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Responding to Andrew above...

I believe that the movement feels athletic because the setup for the clean-grip deadlift places one in a similar stance to that for jumping, as you would do for a power clean (jump and shrug).

To me, the clean-grip deadlift feels like coiling up and exploding up with the bar in the hands, rather than hinging it off of the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    How would you define "athletic"?
    Someone who can deadlift more than 345lbs at 230lbs bodyweight after being exposed to SS for 8 months.

Yeah, I know, snarky. Sorry.

I believe that the movement feels athletic because the setup for the clean-grip deadlift places one in a similar stance to that for jumping, as you would do for a power clean (jump and shrug).

To me, the clean-grip deadlift feels like coiling up and exploding up with the bar in the hands, rather than hinging it off of the floor.
    To you.

That doesn't really answer the question, "How would you define 'athletic'?" If you had to explain the word "athletic" to someone who had never heard the word before, what would you say?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    That doesn't really answer the question, "How would you define 'athletic'?" If you had to explain the word "athletic" to someone who had never heard the word before, what would you say?
    For something to look athletic, it would more so move like athletics, aka Sports, which are normally based around footspeed and/or running or throwing.

rando thing cherry picked from the googles:

Etymology
    The word athletics is derived from the Greek word "athlos" (ἄθλος), meaning "contest" or "task." The Ancient Olympic Games were born of war and featured various forms of athletics such as running, jumping, boxing and wrestling competitions.

In the modern English language the term athletics has taken on two distinct meanings. Its meaning in American English broadly denotes human physical sports and their respective systems of training. The other, narrower principal meaning of the word comes from British English and variants within the British Commonwealth; this meaning of athletics refers solely to the concept of the sport of athletics (a category of sporting competition that comprises track and field sports and various forms of foot racing), rather than physical sport in general.

starting strength coach development program
    Athletic
    Someone who can run a mile in 6:59 minutes
    Bench press their body weight 20 reps
    Over head press half their body weight 20 reps
    Squat their body weight 20 reps
    Deadlift their body weight 20 reps
    Do this Everyday 7 Days a week without any warmup.
    That is Athletic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast