starting strength gym

Thread: Olympic Lifting and Your Linear Progression | Phil Meggers

Default Olympic Lifting and Your Linear Progression | Phil Meggers

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You’re working through your linear progression, and you’re making steady progress on the squat, press, bench, and deadlift, but you’ve also developed an itch to do some weightlifting (i.e., Olympic lifting). With this in mind, let’s cover a few options to work the practice of the snatch and clean & jerk[.]

Read article

I'm surprised doubles are recommended for the CJ. I think singles are better. This is basically the VD on the 4day oly TM, minus a few sets, which also uses singles for the CJ.

I understand. I'm always surprised when someone has different ideas than I do.

Maybe Phil can enlighten us.

If he has time. He's busy coaching the Olympic lifts.

Maybe Phil can write the Olympic Lifting book with Mark; I still think the Olympic lifting world needs the cobwebs and complacency shaken out of it! You guys have pissed off the world of functional ‘strength’ training by speaking truth to power, so maybe it’s time for the Olympic lifting people to get some home truths?

Why would we spend time on that? They won't read it, because they already know everything and we're clearly wrong because the best lifters in the world do it their way. Just like functional training.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by m s View Post
    I'm surprised doubles are recommended for the CJ. I think singles are better. This is basically the VD on the 4day oly TM, minus a few sets, which also uses singles for the CJ.
    My apologies - I'm a little late to the party here.

Singles will indeed be a more appropriate choice eventually, but for a new-ish lifter who is working through his linear progression and is just starting in on the Olympic lifts, doubles work well (as the weights aren't particularly heavy yet) and give ample opportunity to practice the lifts. Utilizing the same sets-and-reps scheme for both lifts also keeps things simple at the start, which is nice, but when the time comes, switching over to singles is the first change we make.