starting strength gym

Thread: How to Set Up Your Safeties for Heavy Squats | Ray Gillenwater

Default How to Set Up Your Safeties for Heavy Squats | Ray Gillenwater

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Starting Strength Coach Ray Gillenwater demonstrates how to set up your power rack so that your safeties are not too high or too low.

Nice video, Ray. Have you found that hip height works for basically everyone or does it vary quite a bit?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Very clear demo, Ray. I remember Rip made a video about setting safety pin, and emphasize that the correct height should be decided with some weight on your back.
    What's your thought?

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Nice video, Ray. Have you found that hip height works for basically everyone or does it vary quite a bit?
    It seems to be a better-than-random starting point. Fewer adjustment cycles this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Guan Cheng Lin View Post
    Very clear demo, Ray. I remember Rip made a video about setting safety pin, and emphasize that the correct height should be decided with some weight on your back.
    What's your thought?
    Correct, if this method has you clashing with the pins at any point during your warm-ups, adjust the pins down a notch. Squatting too deep with the empty bar will give you extra clearance to accommodate for things like the bar settling lower on your back as weight gets added, but watch things closely the first couple of times you attempt this.

I just built a Starting Strength rack and there’s nothing about it I don’t like. The 1 1/4” safeties and 2” spacing are a huge selling point.