• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys,

33 years old, 5’10 and 200lbs, just tested for my 1rm’s:

Flat Bench-290
    SQ-315
    Hang Clean w/o dropping into a squat-235

Im planning on doing the classic Bill Starr 5x5 program, bench/SQ/Clean for 3 days 5x5 (heavy, light, medium) and debating adding to it.

Maybe over head press or deadlifts under protocol as the other 3? Or maybe just adding 3x of dips/pull-ups till failure after I finish my 3 exercises.

Has anyone done anything like this before? Will I burn out if I add to this?

Goal is to get stronger and look good post covid

I wouldn't start with the clean. Trade out a deadlift as your pull. When you stop making progress on the deadlift, alternate with the power clean.

It's a great idea to add overhead presses. You can alternate those with the bench, and you shouldn't need to do HLM, just add weight every session.

So it would be Squat/Bench/Deadlift on the first day and then Squat/Press/Deadlift on the second day. Just keep adding weight until you can't.

Also, final thought, 5x5 is probably too much volume right off the bat. Try 3x5 and see how that goes for a while.

I promise you will get stronger doing this and look good. Just get real strong.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

This sounds oddly familiar lol.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for hitting me back! I’m personally partial to the 3 days vs workout A/B..What do you think about just doing a big 4 vs alternating something in? Or would just adding dead’s or the press @5x5 -on top of the other stuff @5x5-be too taxing?

I think that you're in the ideal situation to do the Starting Strength linear progression as written and get strong. You're not weak, but you probably still have room to make gains on the linear progression especially if you're willing to gain weight. It doesn't last that long, and after you finish LP, intermediate programming is an excellent time to mess around with different training variables, find out what you like, and learn what works well for you as an individual. You are your own person, and you should do what you want, but that's my opinion.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Let's try again: Practical Programming for Strength Training, 3rd edition – The Aasgaard Company

If you want to do SSS, go ahead. But that's a different program than we coach.