starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting USA

Default Visiting USA

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,

Firstly I want to say I’m being a bit cheeky posting this thread asking for some recommendations about a future trip to the US. If the moderators feel that they’d rather not clog up the threads with a personal request like this I will fully understand. However I know the SS community is very generous with their time and if this does get posted I’ll be grateful for anyone’s advice.

My better half and I are planning a trip to the US either this year or next for our 10 year anniversary. We’re looking for recommendations of places to visit beyond Florida, NY and the East Coast (Nothing wrong with these fine places but we’ve both worked in the US in NY and the North East and will save Florida for going with our kids). We’re wondering if there are any worthwhile places that the typical Brit might not consider. We love the outdoors and smaller towns/cities vs huge metropolis’ and I can’t say California would be at the top of my list. If I came across an NFL or Division 1 football game it wouldn’t be the end of the world. I won’t get away with a cert that will be a long anticipated trip on my own.

My first thought is the Southwest the scenery in that area looks amazing but not sure how easy it is to plan a full 10-14 days there.

Many Thanks in advance

James

Quote Originally Posted by Jdcuth View Post
    My first thought is the Southwest the scenery in that area looks amazing but not sure how easy it is to plan a full 10-14 days there.
    Hi James,

If you're looking at 10-14 days, I'd forget football (maybe spring football in a college town), get in the car and drive 2500+ miles around the Western half of the U.S.

Wichita Falls would be destination #1--see this recent thread:

Sightseeing in WF

Leaving that aside, I'd do Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Yosemite Valley and Tahoe, in that order.

I'd aim for April, otherwise it'll be hot.

My absolute favorite place is 45 minutes North of Las Vegas - Mount Charleston. You get Vegas one day, beautiful big mountains the next. It's like two different worlds. Anyway, good luck.

Hi everyone,

Firstly I want to say I’m being a bit cheeky posting this thread asking for some recommendations about a future trip to the US. If the moderators feel that they’d rather not clog up the threads with a personal request like this I will fully understand. However I know the SS community is very generous with their time and if this does get posted I’ll be grateful for anyone’s advice.

My better half and I are planning a trip to the US either this year or next for our 10 year anniversary. We’re looking for recommendations of places to visit beyond Florida, NY and the East Coast (Nothing wrong with these fine places but we’ve both worked in the US in NY and the North East and will save Florida for going with our kids). We’re wondering if there are any worthwhile places that the typical Brit might not consider. We love the outdoors and smaller towns/cities vs huge metropolis’ and I can’t say California would be at the top of my list. If I came across an NFL or Division 1 football game it wouldn’t be the end of the world. I won’t get away with a cert that will be a long anticipated trip on my own.

Many Thanks in advance

James
    Maybe something like the western national parks? There are tons of loops you can find online that can take a couple day’s to a couple weeks. Here’s an example: Western National Parks: A Summer Road Trip - Our Wander-Filled Life

Hi everyone,

Many Thanks in advance

James
    If you love the outdoors then the Southwest is mandatory. Hiking in Utah (Arches and Zion) are incredible. Or Arizona and the Grand Canyon. I am in the northeast and the southwest has become my go to vacation spot for the outdoors. Or Montana/ Wyoming for Yellowstone and Grand Teton, those are bad ass also for outdoors.

You can easily spend two weeks out there. I suggest renting an camper van, not an RV. A camper van can get you to some remote trailheads, and RV can’t. And with the camper van it’s cozy and you can sleep pretty much anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    If you love the outdoors then the Southwest is mandatory. Hiking in Utah (Arches and Zion) are incredible. Or Arizona and the Grand Canyon. I am in the northeast and the southwest has become my go to vacation spot for the outdoors. Or Montana/ Wyoming for Yellowstone and Grand Teton, those are bad ass also for outdoors.

You can easily spend two weeks out there. I suggest renting an camper van, not an RV. A camper van can get you to some remote trailheads, and RV can’t. And with the camper van it’s cozy and you can sleep pretty much anywhere.
    I second this!

Also, there was a book written by a British comedian who decided to drive cross country in the US. The only rule: He could only spend his money at Mom & Pop locations as an homage to the good old glory days of the USA.

The book was titled America Unchained: A Freewheeling Roadtrip in Search of Non-Corporate America. My favorite part was his reaction when someone approached him with a side holstered weapon in Mississippi.

You may find it helpful in the sense that he goes off the beaten path and finds some nice, little hideaways most Americans wouldn’t even know about.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.
    I think that settles it- we'll look at maybe doing Yellowstone (which is on my wife's bucket list) and then head south. I'm thinking we'll have a rough start and end point and then just enjoy the journey.
    The campervan sounds like an awesome idea.

BW
    James

Try to get a couple of days in Santa Fe NM. The food, art, and terrain will be like nothing you've seen before. Go in the summer and there are some great simple day hikes in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    I second this!

Also, there was a book written by a British comedian who decided to drive cross country in the US. The only rule: He could only spend his money at Mom & Pop locations as an homage to the good old glory days of the USA.

The book was titled America Unchained: A Freewheeling Roadtrip in Search of Non-Corporate America. My favorite part was his reaction when someone approached him with a side holstered weapon in Mississippi.

You may find it helpful in the sense that he goes off the beaten path and finds some nice, little hideaways most Americans wouldn’t even know about.
    I wonder if he ever realuzed how many weapins were around him all the time just not visible

starting strength coach development program
    Communist China or Iran would probably better places to visit right now, with more freedom, than NY or Cali. I'd recommend South Dakota, it's a free state and Mount Rushmore is really cool to see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast