starting strength gym

Thread: Train Like Your Life Depends On It: Because It Does | Bryan Glahn

Default Train Like Your Life Depends On It: Because It Does | Bryan Glahn

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    ​With middle age comes an illusion of security. You’ve settled into a career that most likely brings some financial stability. A few kids, a house, and a spouse may create a sense of achievement: the American dream. You’re no longer laser-focused on where you think you need to go in life; rather you learn to appreciate where you are...

Read article

Great article. It is amazing thing to build a culture of strength in your household. It is cool to see how your boys have responded to your training with enthusiasm.

This to me is the power of SS, building a multigenerational family culture that realizes that it’s about life outside the rack.

Thanks for sharing this great article.

"You not only justify but condone and ultimately enable your own path to mediocrity, and a premature demise that was in all likelihood preventable."

So much truth to this. We see too many examples of this in our siblings and peers as I get closer to my mid-50's and she approaches her mid-40's. In the therapy realm, she recently had a client who had just turned 50. During the session, she asked what he was doing to keep himself young, whether it be skiing or whatever. His answer was "I can't do that stuff anymore, I'm 50."

Over the last two days, as we chased each other through the trees, blasting powder clouds over our heads with each turn and laughing, on the chairlift she'd remind me that according to her client, I'm already dead. Clearly. The SS model over the past few years, after decades of exercising, has really improved the experience.

If this is being dead, I want more of it. Not their version. Which is why I'm headed out to the garage right now to get under the bar, so I can go out again tomorrow and enjoy tonight's big dump.

Beautifully written article. Thank you.

Especially your fathers words struck home, they could have easily come from mine.

He was a strong man when I grew up, and has always been an inspiration for me on what a man ought to be.

I was always amazed with by which ease he ripped loose a stuck snow-mobile clogged with wet snow or handled pieces of heavy machinery, gear-boxes or carrying animals for butchery. It makes me sad to see that he has given up the interest to stay strong.

He went into a depression about ten years ago, which he’s been medicating, and is under control. But about at that point he’s been heading down-hill. He has had both knees replaced due to arthritis, and the doctor told him that he’ll never be able to bend his knees more than he was before the surgery - which was approximately 90 degrees. So why try... After all, he is a doctor.

He can’t stand on his knees anymore, but is able to change tires and do some repairing work around his house, by lying down on his side - so he keeps on struggling, he’s a stubborn man, thank god.

Anyway. I’ve been trying to make him start training again - as long as you can heal, you can get stronger. But the answer is always the same - “I’ve grown comfortable.”. I guess he means that life no longer needs to be a struggle, and he has a comfortable life in retirement with my mom.

But nevertheless, it makes me sad. He gave up too soon. I can only hope that him giving up will keep me going after it.

Wow, inspirational and amazingly well written. I've sent this article to all of my middle aged friends (we are 47-49 scattered about the country).

I'm the only one who barbell trains, but hopefully they will be inspired by Bryan's writing.

I've drank the Kool-aid; I'm just hoping for their health, they do as well.

starting strength coach development program
    I know it's been a while since this was posted, but I only just now came across it. Enjoyed it very much and it really resonates with me. Thanks for taking the time to write and post.

Also, I would happily take your large wolf spiders over my June bugs. They like to fly into my mouth during a valsalva. Seriously, fuck those things.