starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method modifications and questions

Default Texas Method modifications and questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I would like to know if the TM is right for me or if an advanced program would be more beneficial. I’m almost 20, roughly 220 6’3”. I don’t lift much during competition season in winter and spring. I started lifting religiously during the off seasons three years ago, and have tripled my lifts since I started, SBDP is roughly 4,3,5,2.

If it’s a good match, I’d like to ask about some changes. I’ve seen a few variations to the TM, and I’m going off one I saw with Deadlifts Friday instead of cleans and snatches. I’d like a more consistent schedule, with 2 volume, 2 active recovery, and 2 intensity days, mon-sat. I would do 2 movements a day, aside from only deadlifts Saturday. I’m assuming this would have a net effect.

I have a home gym with a power rack and an air bike. The program I saw included GHD or weighted extensions, which I don’t have. Would rows or weighted chins be a good replacement?

I’d like to keep some cardio, adding a day or two with sprints on the air bike. I wasn’t sure if it mattered when, but I was going to have one on the first active recovery day and another on Sunday, the off day.

Any input is appreciated, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by HenryW View Post
    I’d like to keep some cardio, adding a day or two with sprints on the air bike.
    Is your heart not beating through your chest after a set of squats?

Maybe if it’s RPE 10, a set of 5 lasts about 20 seconds. I do snowboard cross, and races last about 1 min, often at altitude. I thought some sport specificity would be good to add.

RPE is complete bullshit. My thoughts on the Texas Method are here: Practical Programming for Strength Training, 3rd edition – The Aasgaard Company

If you actually work on the snowboard at altitude, that's pretty specific to working on the board at altitude.

Fair enough.

I live near Baltimore, so the transition to Summit County Colorado is 0-10000 feet. The cardio is for sport, but I'm also prone to altitude sickness. Even with a good cardio base, it takes a few weeks to adjust.

Cardio does not affect altitude symptoms.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryW View Post
    I live near Baltimore . . . .
    You might consider some coaching, if you are in Baltimore:

Fivex3 Training - A Strength and Conditioning Gym |

The owners, Coach Emily Socolinsky and Diego Socolinsky, both have a lot of great content up on the Starting Strength website:

Emily Socolinsky

Diego Socolinsky