starting strength gym

Thread: Kids lifting

Default Kids lifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So it seems that Mark 100% thinks kids should be lifting. I have 6 kids that I’m debating on having them start ages 7-13, they are already pretty active in Jiu Jitsu and kickboxing. I’m planning on building a 10lb bar that can take 2” weights. So my question is, do they need lifting shoes as children?

This is what I've actually said:

Can You Put Your Kids on a Strength Training Program? | Mark Rippetoe

Why Your Kids Should Be Lifting Weights | Mark Rippetoe

This is what I've said about shoes:

Shoes | Mark Rippetoe

They don't need lifting shoes as children, since the weights are not that heavy.

I've taught my three boys some of the lifts. Results have been mixed, but when they ask I try to spend the time in the gym with them. As they get older, the results get better. My 7 (nearly 8) year old is mostly able to control his body well enough to properly execute the lifts, and my 10 (nearly 11) year old is pretty coachable. The 5 (nearly 6) year old, however, is something else. He lacks sufficient awareness of his body to coach. He enjoys playing with the weights, so I keep it light and make sure he doesn't do anything (too) stupid. Once puberty takes them, I'll get more serious with them.

As for equipment, I have a 15 lbs bar from Rogue as well as a broom stick that I put some collars on to keep the plates from rattling off. I also have two sets of microplates down to 1/4 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchface View Post
    So it seems that Mark 100% thinks...
    Ah, the "Mark" tell.