starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting Strength in 30s + Question on initial setup

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Dan Miller on this forum manufactures high quality, very accurate fractional plate sets in human-based and metric sizes. They do not cost a fortune.
    I stand corrected good sir

Dan Miller on this forum manufactures high quality, very accurate fractional plate sets in human-based and metric sizes. They do not cost a fortune.
    +1 on Dan Miller's microplates. Here is a link to the latest thread, with ordering info. I'm sure he'd appreciate the bump.

Quote Originally Posted by zklimczak View Post
    Long time reader, first time poster.

Two questions (possibly a faux pas):

1) I'm 35, looking to start strength training this year at home (no SS gyms nearby). Any concerns with starting in my 30s versus if I had started in my 20s?
    2) Since there are no SS gyms nearby, looking to start with basic fundamental lifts - is it worth it to get a basic (~$150) barbell to start, or just go with a broomstick to get the baseline first and spring for a legit barbell later?

Thanks.
    zklimczak -

1) I didn't start until I was 49. Other than getting started now with the best quality equipment that you can afford, the next most important thing you can do is to quit using your young age as an excuse. I'm sure you're noticing some of your peers doing that now in your 30's, and it just gets worse as the decades pass. If you are posting here, it's apparent that you are not them. Get started, and during your recovery time, peruse these forums for the bad asses in their 60s, 70s, and 80s that are still doing it, or just starting.
    2) see "best quality equipment that you can afford" above. Buy once for your lifetime.

starting strength coach development program
    I bought a set from Dan Miller some time ago, and I have yet to see a better product without even considering price, which was more than reasonable.
    2018 microplates for sale, METRIC now available

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12