starting strength gym

Thread: Relaxing the hip flexors

Default Relaxing the hip flexors

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I watched a YouTube vid where Ed Coan says to relax the hip flexors to keep the knees from caving. I wonder what anyone thinks about this? Is this Ed Coan bro science or actually good advice?

Practically speaking, I can't imagine thinking about relaxing any muscles during the squat. Especially the hip when I think "active hip" while I'm descending. Wouldn't that ruin the bounce from the hole?

Taking a correct stance and then actively shoving your knees out as you squat down is usually a better way of keeping your knees from caving in.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    Practically speaking, I can't imagine thinking about relaxing any muscles during the squat. Especially the hip when I think "active hip" while I'm descending. Wouldn't that ruin the bounce from the hole?
    That’s what I felt. I tried relaxing my hip flexors (not a squat day, Only some fun) it’s weird man. I prefer to tighten up. I don’t know what to think of Ed Coans comments. He is definitely a gifted man.

Relaxing anything in the bottom of a squat is usually not a great idea.

The thing about Ed is just because he is the greatest powerlifter of all time doesn't mean he is also a great coach. For example, world-class athletes like Michael Jordan seldom make for good coaches, while guys like Bill Belichick can coach teams to countless championships without ever playing a hall of fame career themselves.