starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food question

Default Food question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    What is your opinion on Brussel Sprouts? My wife seems to like them but I find them bitter. Is there a way to prepare them that makes them better?

Slice them and fry them in butter and soy sauce.

Brussel Sprouts are delicious.

Coat with olive oil and ample Kosher salt, then roast whole until easily sliced. Or cut them in half before roasting, with same coating.

For flare, finish off under the broiler for a little bark.

Bacon fat or duck fat too.

The longer you cook them, the less bitter they are. I slice them in halves, pan-fry them cut-side-down in bacon grease (don't skimp on the grease; the sprouts drink it up) for about 10 minutes or so (nice and black on the cut side), then add a little bourbon, salt, and pepper at the finish and stir around a bunch. Let the bourbon cook off and remove.

If you have time you can cook a bunch of bacon first to get the grease. While the sprouts are cooking, cut the bacon up into bits and add back into the pan right before the bourbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
    The longer you cook them, the less bitter they are. I slice them in halves, pan-fry them cut-side-down in bacon grease (don't skimp on the grease; the sprouts drink it up) for about 10 minutes or so (nice and black on the cut side), then add a little bourbon, salt, and pepper at the finish and stir around a bunch. Let the bourbon cook off and remove.

If you have time you can cook a bunch of bacon first to get the grease. While the sprouts are cooking, cut the bacon up into bits and add back into the pan right before the bourbon.
    This is the correct answer.

Kale, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and cabbage are all varieties of a single species.

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Dave View Post
    What is your opinion on Brussel Sprouts? My wife seems to like them but I find them bitter. Is there a way to prepare them that makes them better?
    I cook them with pancetta. Not as greasy as bacon and bigger chunks of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Uselesscamper View Post
    Kale, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and cabbage are all varieties of a single species.
    No, they are all the same genus: Brassica.

starting strength coach development program
    Yall ever find a stalk of sprouts at the grocery store? Looks like some kind of medieval vegan weaponry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast