starting strength gym

Thread: Kyle Dake Functional Patterns vs Strength Training

Default Kyle Dake Functional Patterns vs Strength Training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Kyle Dake who's is one of the most decorated NCAA wrestlers ever and current world/Olympic level wrestler has been a advocate for a trainer and their style of exercise called Functional patterns. Dake is known for physical strength in wrestling said he had quit traditional strength training because he thought caused more injuries.
    My question is would strength training done properly like SS be benificial enough for a athlete like him to do it or if he is already strong for wrestling and performing well just wrestling and exercising would it be worth the change with injuries an poor outlook from previous "training"?

I don't know what he means by "traditional strength training" and I don't know how strong he actually is. Neither do you.

Quote Originally Posted by cdsole View Post
    Kyle Dake who's is one of the most decorated NCAA wrestlers ever and current world/Olympic level wrestler has been a advocate for a trainer and their style of exercise called Functional patterns. Dake is known for physical strength in wrestling said he had quit traditional strength training because he thought caused more injuries.
    My question is would strength training done properly like SS be benificial enough for a athlete like him to do it or if he is already strong for wrestling and performing well just wrestling and exercising would it be worth the change with injuries an poor outlook from previous "training"?
    I've been following Kyle since he was won his first NCAA championship as a 141 pounder. Honestly if you look at the functional patterns swirly shit he does these days, the FP stuff is likely done at such a low intensity relative to his ability it's likely just him allowing himself to be recovered from the wrestling training, hence why he "feels stronger".

I don't know of any high level wrestler that actually trains with weights properly. I know Jordan Burroughs does lift weights and I've seen him doing cleans and bench but then at the same time there's a video of him doing trap bar deadlifts on a bosu ball.

The closest you get is Kyle Snyder (World/Olympic Champ)who does train with barbells but his "strength coach" convinced him scrape up the rails while he squats so that the bar path is vertical, basically turning the squat into a smith machine squat.

On the other hand Kyle Snider, who’s an extremely successful international wrestler is an avid weight lifter and seems to use a similar methodology as starting strength.