starting strength gym

Thread: How much weight for working sets

Default How much weight for working sets

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all,

I am trying to nail down the amount of weight I should lift during my working sets. Should the weight be at a level where it is hard but I feel like I can do a few more reps if I had to (with the goal here of ensuring very proper form); or should it be where I can do the number of reps per set (i.e. 5) but it’s really hard, I can’t do any more reps per set, and my form is good but not great.

Would appreciate some guidance on this.

Thank you!

Have you read the book?

Is this question about selecting the working set at the very beginning of your LP, or at the very end of it as you start missing fives?
    Or is really code for RPE?

Sometimes these questions help me to understand why Rip is turning pink. The answer to this is probably in 500 separate pieces of audio or written material on the website, not to mention the book with the same name as the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffreyWeg View Post
    Hi all,

I am trying to nail down the amount of weight I should lift during my working sets. Should the weight be at a level where it is hard but I feel like I can do a few more reps if I had to (with the goal here of ensuring very proper form); or should it be where I can do the number of reps per set (i.e. 5) but it’s really hard, I can’t do any more reps per set, and my form is good but not great.

Would appreciate some guidance on this.

Thank you!
    In short, you start the LP with the former. You end the LP pretty much at the latter. Over that time, the latter has become much heavier than it would've been when you started.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Have you read the book?
    Not the whole thing though I read the Programming section which comes to close to this subject but doesn’t answer my question. If there is another section I should refer to please let me know. Thank you!

Thanks for the tip.

Probably 2/3s into LP. Working sets for some of the exercises are just becoming very tough. Thank you for the reply.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for your comment. Have any favorite content on this question?