starting strength gym

Thread: First Competition Input

Default First Competition Input

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been training with the Starting Strength model for about 2 years. I am competing in my first Strength lifting meet in a little over a month at 54 years of age. The rules are the ones Rip designed, so squat, press and deadlift with weigh out at the end of the day.

Would very much welcome any information about what to expect at the met? When to warm up? What type of food I should bring, etc. If this is not the correct forum I apologize in advance.

I can't speak for every meet, but the Strengthlifting meets I entered were basically the same in structure.

I showed up for registration and rules meeting at about 8-9am. They told us what flights we were in, and the first flights starting warming up their squats. There was a main room where the competition lifts were done, and there was a back room where lifters were warming up on a series of racks. Deadlifts were neat because we basically just loaded one platform with 135, another with 225, another with 315, another with 405, and then we just worked up the ladder for our warm ups.

Here is the biggest advice I can give you. Keep as many things similar to your training as you can. Do you always drink coffee before you lift? Do that at the meet. Have you never done pre-workout? The competition is not the place to try it. Do you get psyched up with music before a big lift. Do that too.

As a consequence, you should train at least once with the singlet you'll be wearing at the competition.

The second advice I think you'll need is that your openers (the first attempt of each lift) should be weights you could do on 2 hours of sleep, no food, an injury, and a flu. There should be no doubt in your mind that you can hit your openers. You should also plan to succeed on nine out of your nine attempts for your first meet.

The SS podcast about this topic is pretty good.

Have fun, man. It's a great time.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com