starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strength Training Without Weights?

Default Strength Training Without Weights?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is there a good approach to strength training if one is in an environment where it is not possible to lift weights for an extended period? I'm thinking of spending some time on a sailboat. I may be able to find a gym here and there from time to time when in port, but for much of the time, the lifting routine I have come to enjoy so much won't be available. Is there anything I can do, resistance bands, etc., to continue training and avoid falling back too much?

You can’t train but you can exercise.

If this is a humblebrag, it's the smoothest one I've seen in a long, long time. I'm sailing around the world and visiting all sorts of exotic places, but WHAT ABOUT MY TRAINING?!? (I honestly don't believe this is a humblebrag but it's hilarious to read it as one.)

I'm envisioning a brand new 'program' where the rocking of the boat replaces the Bosu ball while doing one-legged kipping squats. Or hauling kettlebells to and from the crow's nest for time.

I obviously don't have a beneficial response other than concurring that it'll probably be really hard to do anything resembling maintenance. We're all different, but were it me I'd focus on enjoying the boat ride and deal with the regression later. This sounds like a life memory being built.

I would think a few kettlebells would the tool for this job.
    Last edited by Matthew Spicka; 03-13-2021 at 12:00 PM.

I agree with the kettlebells, they can be a decent tool if your in a pinch. Maybe get a set of 53lb and 70lbs or one of each

I’ve had some sea time. The guys who were serious about lifting all settled on band workouts. I don’t know how effective it was, but it seemed to scratch the itch.

You can also look into portable pulley systems. Spud Inc. and many others make them. Obviously nothing like a barbell but you can rig a bunch of different variations with them and a few weight plates.

I know I'll get flamed" but what about timed static contractions? So if you stop at a beach you won't get sand kicked in your face.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikola Blagojevic View Post
    I’ve had some sea time. The guys who were serious about lifting all settled on band workouts. I don’t know how effective it was, but it seemed to scratch the itch.
    I second this. You can do a ton of things with bands and some imagination. Also they don't take up space and weigh next to nothing. Maybe most importantly, you'll feel like you did something.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    I know I'll get flamed" but what about timed static contractions? So if you stop at a beach you won't get sand kicked in your face.
    Charles Atlas is smiling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast