starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let’s Talk Pants & Underwear

Default Let’s Talk Pants & Underwear

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting Strength has certainly made me bigger and stronger. This has improved my life in a large number of ways, except one:

Nothing fucking fits. My hips are now much larger than my waist. Buying bigger waist sizes allows the waistband to make its way over my hips, but then when it gets around my waist, it starts to fall down. I then have to bunch the fabric up and cinch it with a belt.

I just learned that some clothing manufacturers make “W” sizes and that has helped. So, a 38R is for untrained males and a 38W is for trained males. This helps accommodate the hip/waist ratio problem.

Underwear is a different story. They don’t make 38-40W underwear and my thick thighs rub frequently and cause lots of chaffing problems. Has anyone found a decent underwear manufacturer that can accommodate for men with bigger thighs and hips and a somewhat smaller waist?

You still wear underwear? Why? I guess you don't travel much.

I’ve always had a fear of zippers after that scene in Something About Mary.

I turned the movie off at that point, since I've never had any trouble keeping track of where my dick is. Underwear take up a lot of room in a bag on a 2-week trip, so I eschew their use.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    my thick thighs rub frequently and cause lots of chaffing problems.
    This sounds more like a skin problem than an underwear problem. I've just had boxers for years and my thighs touch but don't chafe.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I have always had very fat thighs and they always rub. My everyday go to are Hanes boxer briefs comfort flex fit or something like that, they're 55-60% cotton and 3-5% spandex. 5% is enough to reduce the rubbing but doesn't give that weird spandex feeling. I also wear them on shorter (< 5 mi) hikes. Longer hikes I wear fully synthetic to get rid of all the friction but you get that weird spandex feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    This sounds more like a skin problem than an underwear problem. I've just had boxers for years and my thighs touch but don't chafe.
    The skin is definitely irritated. They make a slightly longer boxer brief, which I’ve tried, but they seem to get a little stretched out too easily. When I go up a waist size, then they’re too loose around my waist.

Maybe commando is the way around this. Any suggestions for the chaffing?

Oops. I misread this as you DO have chaffing with the boxer briefs. I’ve never had issues before this with my skin so I’m assuming it’s a chaffing issue. It’s humid here and I work a manual labor job, so maybe the humidity and sweat combined with rubbing?

Starting Strength has certainly made me bigger and stronger. This has improved my life in a large number of ways, except one:

Nothing fucking fits. My hips are now much larger than my waist. Buying bigger waist sizes allows the waistband to make its way over my hips, but then when it gets around my waist, it starts to fall down. I then have to bunch the fabric up and cinch it with a belt.

I just learned that some clothing manufacturers make “W” sizes and that has helped. So, a 38R is for untrained males and a 38W is for trained males. This helps accommodate the hip/waist ratio problem.

Underwear is a different story. They don’t make 38-40W underwear and my thick thighs rub frequently and cause lots of chaffing problems. Has anyone found a decent underwear manufacturer that can accommodate for men with bigger thighs and hips and a somewhat smaller waist?
    As anyone who has done long-distance running knows damp cotton can be like sandpaper against the skin. Make sure your trousers are not making you get too hot and if you can't avoid that the lycra breathable shorts people wear for running might be an alternative to underwear... or nothing at all will probably work too as Mr Rippetoe suggested.

starting strength coach development program
    The skin is definitely irritated. They make a slightly longer boxer brief, which I’ve tried, but they seem to get a little stretched out too easily. When I go up a waist size, then they’re too loose around my waist.

Maybe commando is the way around this. Any suggestions for the chaffing?
    If you don't want lycra some runners use vaseline. Cyclists use chamois cream for the friction on the saddle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast