starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For the Ladies - Doing Your Threes, Gaining Weight, & Staying Strong | Inna & Nicole

Default For the Ladies - Doing Your Threes, Gaining Weight, & Staying Strong | Inna & Nicole

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting Strength Coaches Inna Koppel and Nicole Rutherford discuss their experience coaching women, the use of threes in the NLP, and the value of strength training for women.

Did the coach on the right say she's started squatting 85lbs, added 20lbs of body weight, and is now squatting 340????

Did I hear that correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Did the coach on the right say she's started squatting 85lbs, added 20lbs of body weight, and is now squatting 340????

Yeah but she has likely been lifting for years.

First, the 'coach on the right' was Nicole. Sorry... I wasn't paying attention to the name on the first post.

Second, Mark, you need to interview her, like you did Chase. 99% of men can't squat 340. I can't. Would very much like to hear the details of that process, of only gaining 20lbs and tripling her capacity.

First, the 'coach on the right' was Nicole. Sorry... I wasn't paying attention to the name on the first post.

Second, Mark, you need to interview her, like you did Chase. 99% of men can't squat 340. I can't. Would very much like to hear the details of that process, of only gaining 20lbs and tripling her capacity.
    Can't, or won't? (that's not directed at you, specifically, just an observation).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Can't, or won't? (that's not directed at you, specifically, just an observation).
    Can't.

Maybe some day, but gun to their heads today, some large percentage of males would not be able to squat 340.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Can't.

Maybe some day, but gun to their heads today, some large percentage of males would not be able to squat 340.
    I should have been more clear. No, I don't expect many untrained males to squat 340. I was thinking more of potential. I think 340 is a reasonably attainable goal for many men and women. Whether they're willing to put in the work to get there is the question.

Yes sir 😊 340 squat and 135 press are my biggest achievements.

My opinion only...

Can't because they are not training to do so.
    Can't because a bunch aren't physically able to do so (too old? Too short? Maybe something else)
    Won't because they refuse to do the work. (answer for most men) or their focus is somewhere else (running, etc)

Now for my own situation.... There is a chance that I will be able to squat 340 one day. I'm 46yo, been training consistently since 1/1/20. Started very weak, and have made lots of improvements. And it will take a LOT of work for me to get there (340). A lot. So, I may be a "won't", as referenced above.

I hope she gets interviewed.

I am in the strong minority, I know, but part of me is more impressed (that's not the right word... I can't think of it) with Nicole squatting 340 than the 405 press of Chase. And 495 press is incredible.

starting strength coach development program
    I should have been more clear. No, I don't expect many untrained males to squat 340. I was thinking more of potential. I think 340 is a reasonably attainable goal for many men and women. Whether they're willing to put in the work to get there is the question.
    I am curious to know how far to the right of the bell curve a 340lbs squat is after, say, 3-6 months of training. I've always assumed it was within reach for most men, but I don't actually know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast