starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decision making for studies

Default Decision making for studies

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The article “academic preparation” help me a lot realizing I need to do my undergraduate degree in some kind of hard science, currently my goal is to be a strength coach, but things could change, anyone have dealt with this dilemma of which degree to choose?(biology,Chemestry,physics)
    What should I take into consideration before choosing one of them?

I don't think you need a "degree" at all. I think you need the education that forms the basis of the skill set we use as coaches, coupled with specific study and personal experience with the method you're coaching. You need the freshman and sophomore level courses in chemistry, physics, and biology, but not a degree.

You don't have to actually get the degree to take the classes. Just register as undecided and then sign up for classes.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

thats correct, i can get all the information by study alone from books, i also love to study alone.
    the main reason i want to get a degree is the reason you mention in the article, that if i change my mind about being a strength coach, i will still have a degree that worth something and can do with it other things.

in this case, i will probably benefit from a degree that contain as much as the hard science i can find.
    if you were in my situation, whice things you take into consideration before choosing the degree?

appreciate your help, thank you.

Engineering is never a bad choice.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Seconded.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Yes. Difficult major but can easily transfer that degree into many areas. Worth the effort.

According to the article science degree will also open for me other doors, why engineering is better the biology?
    I’m more interested in biology

Because engineering will actually get you a job.

What job has "BS in biology" as the application requirements?

If you want to get a job after you get a BS in biology, you have to get graduate degree first.

starting strength coach development program
    The concern is that a BS in bio set might limit you to be a lab tech. Nothing wrong with that, but an electrical or mechanical engineering BS will have more doors open to you early in your career.

I suggest reaching out to Stef Bradford. She is busy as hell but she can offer career advice in bio.
    She has a PhD from Duke in something like pharmacology.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast