starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet Another Testosterone Question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I don’t think testosterone is your problem. You’d probably notice the psychological effects before the physical; depression, no motivation, etc. It seems like consistency is more important right now. And if you can’t gain weight, hit the milk although I doubt weight is your problem. I think Grant is below 200 and he’s pretty strong.

I’m walking around with 157 on my third blood test and third doc feeling like shit most of the time. Finally got the prescription but having trouble getting it filled. It’s a gigantic pain in the ass getting started on this stuff.

How do you know you are eating 4000 calories? Do you have an exact count for macros and calories? Do you always eat that amount EVERY DAY? These things matter a great deal. Some people get into that mindset of "oh, I'll eat big on certain days that best facilitate recovery", but what they do is just cut their food consumption down by a huge amount. You are remodeling your body, and the project needs building materials (protein) and some way to feed the workers (carbs, fats to a lesser extent). Your lifts are...strange to me. Why do you have 1RMs instead of just data for the 3x5 weight you started with vs where you are now? Also, your press seems oddly out of line. And where's your bench?

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    How do you know you are eating 4000 calories? Do you have an exact count for macros and calories? Do you always eat that amount EVERY DAY? These things matter a great deal. Some people get into that mindset of "oh, I'll eat big on certain days that best facilitate recovery", but what they do is just cut their food consumption down by a huge amount. You are remodeling your body, and the project needs building materials (protein) and some way to feed the workers (carbs, fats to a lesser extent). Your lifts are...strange to me. Why do you have 1RMs instead of just data for the 3x5 weight you started with vs where you are now? Also, your press seems oddly out of line. And where's your bench?
    you are grilling me to death, which I guess is something I deserve given how poorly I am explaining myself.
    Point taken on the calories, I guestimated 4000 calories, I eat a lot , I really do. 3 meals and I eat in between meals.
    Am i super consistent? probably not. Could I eat even more protein? Sure could. Is it enjoyable to eat even more to the point of vomiting? I'll let you grill me on your next reply
    I guess what you are saying is that consistent and somewhat precise nutrition is a big factor and i know that most people just do whatever with nutrition. Point taken!
    My coach also said the same, "getting bigger is a nutrition thing". I just sorta went down the testosterone route out of curiosity and just wanted to know what my levels were and ask for some guidance.

I shared 1RMs, the type of thing we do at the end of some SS cycles, testing out some maxes for fun. I can fax you my entire training log if you want
    Here are my first working sets 3x5 (Jan 6 2020)
    SQ 3x5 @ 155
    OP 3x5 @ 65
    BP 3x5 @ 95
    DL 1x 5 @ 160

This week
    SQ 4x4 @ 260 on monday, this friday 5,5@280,265
    OP 3x5 @ 97.5
    BP 3x5 @ 147.5
    DL 1x5 @ 385
    My coach is programming an advanced novice LP hence the squat numbers. Also doing pause squat and pause DLs on other days.

And yeah, my overhead progression is weird because i didnt press from March 2020 until Jan 2021.
    No training (Lock down) from mid March 2020 until Mid July 2020
    Then i only had access to a "powerlifting" gym and just went along and did their program. No overhead pressing at all, just Squat, Bench, DL accessories and variations.

I have done an SS cycle from Jan 6 2021 - Feb 26, and now in the middle of another one that started on March 8.

I hope that paints a clearer picture. And i truly appreciated your responses.

Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ericw View Post
    I don’t think testosterone is your problem. You’d probably notice the psychological effects before the physical; depression, no motivation, etc. It seems like consistency is more important right now. And if you can’t gain weight, hit the milk although I doubt weight is your problem. I think Grant is below 200 and he’s pretty strong.

I’m walking around with 157 on my third blood test and third doc feeling like shit most of the time. Finally got the prescription but having trouble getting it filled. It’s a gigantic pain in the ass getting started on this stuff.
    agreed, this entire thread has been very informative and I am sorry to hear about your situation, i hope it improves! good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by raedatoui View Post
    I have done an SS cycle from Jan 6 2021 - Feb 26, and now in the middle of another one that started on March 8.
    You haven't done the program, and you're not doing the program now. The program is here: Practical Programming for Strength Training, 3rd edition – The Aasgaard Company

Read it. Do the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You haven't done the program, and you're not doing the program now. The program is here: Practical Programming for Strength Training, 3rd edition – The Aasgaard Company

Read it. Do the program.
    I am being coached by Jeremy Fisher at CFSBK, I am paying him, he read the book, he did the certification, he is a great coach! I am doing the program, I did a cycle, doing another one with him.
    I asked a dumb question, I get it. Just dont burn me at the cross!!

If you're happy with your progress, why are you asking us these questions?

If you're happy with your progress, why are you asking us these questions?
    Great question. I guess curiosity killed this god damn cat !

I was genuinely curious about what promotes weight gain and if there was something for me to optimize. Having never measured my T levels before, I just figured why not test and know what they are . Not knowing how to properly interpret the result of the test, I figured I ask the forum. And answers I did get, so thank you all for that. I reckon that I was asking the wrong question and conflating things.

wrong link?

starting strength coach development program
    "You haven't done the program, and you're not doing the program now. The program is here: Practical Programming for Strength Training, 3rd edition – The Aasgaard Company

Read it. Do the program."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast