starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet Another Testosterone Question

Default Yet Another Testosterone Question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I tried asking my Primary Care Physician and they refused to even have the conversation about testosterone
    I asked my doctor, "hey I would like to also test my testosterone levels in my upcoming blood work", and the answer was "why? you don't need that"
    I guess I should get a different doctor now

I ended up ordering and paying for a test myself. The result was 603 ng/dl. I should probably measure it one more time. Is a week or 2 adequate ? A month?

I am 37 years old , 5’11 and with a year and half of lifting under my belt (started late)
    I did gain 30 lbs in that first year or so but have been stuck at 195 lbs. I am eating 4000 calories a day.
    I might sound like I am conflating food and growth hormone, but it is honestly hard for me to know which parameter is having more impact on gaining weight / muscle mass.
    The reference range for normal levels of testosterone is like anti information. You learn less the more "expert" opinions you read about.

Doesn’t seem like I should have an intervention like TRT but I am open to it if it’s a good tool to add some muscle mass at my age.
    I am a skinny type dude but I think I can get to at least 215 lbs or so

Thank you

What are your symptoms?

No doctor is going to prescribe test to you with a 603ng/dl result.

Quote Originally Posted by raedatoui View Post
    I am 37 years old , 5’11 and with a year and half of lifting under my belt (started late)
    I did gain 30 lbs in that first year or so but have been stuck at 195 lbs. I am eating 4000 calories a day.
    I might sound like I am conflating food and growth hormone, but it is honestly hard for me to know which parameter is having more impact on gaining weight / muscle mass.
    Thank you
    Starting and current lift numbers? You should know to include those if you have a progress question.

You shouldn't be chasing TRT to grow muscle. You should be looking into it to address symptoms like a loss of libido, and chronic depression and anxiety. 603 is pretty good, though. If you're awake at 603 you are probably getting to a pretty high level during a good night's sleep. I know the number isn't technically supposed to be the decider, but yours is pretty good. If you want to look more in depth, getting your free T checked might also help. But the bottom line for pursuing this treatment is symptoms, and "I wanna grow my muscles more" isn't one of them.

I don't have any symptoms, other than perhaps the slow / stalled progress in gaining weight.
    Like I said, I might be conflating nutrition with testosterone. I'll just carry on and keep lifting, eating, sleeping to the best of my ability.

you mean no doctor is going to prescribe TRT with 603? agreed, but they should let people get their levels tested at a minimum.

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

Maybe he just wants an easy fix for a hard problem. That's a common approach.

thanks, that make sense.

damn, i feel ashamed. I am not saying its a problem, just trying to understand what controls what. I didn't read the literature on growth hormones before asking my question. Figured the forum will educate my ass, and boy it sure did.
    I gained weight progressively in the first year, now it's a lot slower. I guess the answer is "that's expected, stop whining and keep lifting". I'll see myself out now, hehehe

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    Starting and current lift numbers? You should know to include those if you have a progress question.
    sorry, new to the forum.
    March 2020 after the first SS cycle, 1 RM
    SQ 255
    OP 95
    DL 295

March 2021, 1 RM after another SS cycle
    SQ 315
    OP 105
    DL 425

I am ok with the progress given that 2020 sucked, took some time off, then did some SBD program for 6 months until i got back to SS in Jan of 2021
    I guess the answer is "dont think about testosterone if you dont have symptoms" I dont know, i figured I ask given I was close to 40 and my weight gain progress is now slow.
    Thank you all for you advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast