starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conditioning Modalities for Masters | Jonathon Sullivan

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfacts25 View Post
    I see. The cardio term has been misused a little. Ballet is an interesting note but they have terrible feet so I can’t do that. Although it is known that “Aunuld” did some ballet. Decisions, Decisions. Lol. It figures I would over think this stuff. My dad had quadruple bypass when he was 45, so it’s always on my mind. Sticking to the SS model helps to atleast give a way forward.
    I could be wrong, but if I remember, the reason Arnold did ballet was only to improve his posing not for cardio. He viewed the posing and movement transitions from one pose to another in competition as an artform and wanted to perfect it as much as he could. His cardio was running on the sandy beach and cycling.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox View Post
    I could be wrong, but if I remember, the reason Arnold did ballet was only to improve his posing not for cardio. He viewed the posing and movement transitions from one pose to another in competition as an artform and wanted to perfect it as much as he could. His cardio was running on the sandy beach and cycling.
    I am aware he only took ballet for his posing. I was being irreverent. Humor is paramount in these times! The government says you are going to die! So you might as well laugh in the final hour.

Doc,
    While we can measure strength in pounds of weight moved, how should we measure conditioning? It is heart rate and time, or what? Also what should our targets? Is there a fives in the conditioning realm?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfacts25 View Post
    I am aware he only took ballet for his posing. I was being irreverent. Humor is paramount in these times! The government says you are going to die! So you might as well laugh in the final hour.
    LOL. sorry, guess I missed the sarcasm embedded. You are so right, might as well enjoy things now.

Sully,

Believe it or not I actually miss the prowler. I guess I am losing my mind. It will be good when we again have more time so we can do it.

Sully, While I certainly agree that high intensity conditioning is important, what about "zone 2" aerobic conditioning? High intensity conditioning uses the same high demand anaerobic energy pathways in the muscle cell that lifting does. Zone 2 conditioning however utilizes fat burning energy pathways utilizing the mitochondria. Why isn't training this energy pathway important? Am I waisting my time with 3 hours of Zone 2 training per week?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene61 View Post
    Zone 2 conditioning however utilizes fat burning energy pathways utilizing the mitochondria.
    Your mitochondria don't turn off when you push the prowler, you know. ALL the pathways are operating when you train, if you're training at the high end of the spectrum. Look at the literature on EPOC, AND on PGC-1a activation (a precursor to mitochondrial biogenesis) in the setting of HIIT.

Why isn't training this energy pathway important?
    It is important. And I think you capture it adequately if you lift weights and push the prowler. If your sport requires more refined mixed endurance-power conditioning then practice your sport. As Bruce Lee once said, the best conditioning for the event is to practice the event itself. And who can argue with the Bruce?

Am I waisting my time with 3 hours of Zone 2 training per week?
    I'm inclined to say you might be, but only you can answer that. Also, I see what you did there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12