starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conditioning Modalities for Masters | Jonathon Sullivan

Default Conditioning Modalities for Masters | Jonathon Sullivan

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The Barbell Prescription includes a conditioning prescription, and most people can fill that Rx with the Prowler (sled) or an appropriate high-intensity sport. Sully discusses the need for conditioning in Masters, why the sled checks all the boxes of our exercise prescription criteria....and what to do if you can't (or won't) use the sled.

I have found that my conditioning needs to addressed more as I get into my forties (I’m 42). Wish I had more time for it as it affects my work capacity. And with three kids I barely get the basic weightlifting done. 😜. I like sled pushes. Running up a hill is good work too, as is dragging the sled by walking backwards. Dragging it backwards with a toe strap will fire up the quads something awful. For now mowing the lawn will have to suffice.

Are you trying to condition your "quads" or your cardiorespiratory system? We really need to stop thinking about muscle groups, and start thinking about systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfacts25 View Post
    I have found that my conditioning needs to addressed more as I get into my forties (I’m 42). Wish I had more time for it as it affects my work capacity. And with three kids I barely get the basic weightlifting done. [emoji12]. I like sled pushes. Running up a hill is good work too, as is dragging the sled by walking backwards. Dragging it backwards with a toe strap will fire up the quads something awful. For now mowing the lawn will have to suffice.
    You pull it with your toe? Man, that’s impressive.

More the cardiovascular system I guess. Walking backwards just makes it more interesting and gives a suffer feel. I really only have time for mowing the lawn. I won’t sacrifice my weight training. Just can’t do it. Squats. Presses, and dead’s baby! If and when I can do any conditioning work, there is a good hill next to my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Are you trying to condition your "quads" or your cardiorespiratory system? We really need to stop thinking about muscle groups, and start thinking about systems.
    This. Also, I believe we need to stop talking about "cardio." The word, in the context of exercise prescription, is just about meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    This. Also, I believe we need to stop talking about "cardio." The word, in the context of exercise prescription, is just about meaningless.
    What can some one do to keep conditioning(or work capacity) from slipping? I don’t have access to a sled. Is it not necessary to work the heart or is that a fallacy propped up by well meaning misinformed people?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfacts25 View Post
    What can some one do to keep conditioning(or work capacity) from slipping? I don’t have access to a sled. Is it not necessary to work the heart or is that a fallacy propped up by well meaning misinformed people?
    Well, the video takes note of a number of conditioning modalities in particular and implies an almost limitless range of conditioning options in general. "Lift weights and do bike sprints" or "lift weights and hit the heavy bag" or "lift weights and go to ballet practice" don't require a sled.

As to "working the heart," I'm not aware of any form of vigorous exercise that doesn't. That's my entire point in the quoted comment. "Cardio" isn't a fallacy. It's just a term that is so general and nonspecific in ordinary use as to be meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Well, the video takes note of a number of conditioning modalities in particular and implies an almost limitless range of conditioning options in general. "Lift weights and do bike sprints" or "lift weights and hit the heavy bag" or "lift weights and go to ballet practice" don't require a sled.

As to "working the heart," I'm not aware of any form of vigorous exercise that doesn't. That's my entire point in the quoted comment. "Cardio" isn't a fallacy. It's just a term that is so general and nonspecific in ordinary use as to be meaningless.
    I see. The cardio term has been misused a little. Ballet is an interesting note but they have terrible feet so I can’t do that. Although it is known that “Aunuld” did some ballet. Decisions, Decisions. Lol. It figures I would over think this stuff. My dad had quadruple bypass when he was 45, so it’s always on my mind. Sticking to the SS model helps to atleast give a way forward.

starting strength coach development program
    Lots of things besides the sled as Sully has said. FWIW, my heart rate averages 80% of maximum heart rate when I lift. That's with 3+ minutes of recovery time between sets of 3 to 5 reps. My session time for lifting varies from 40-60 minutes. Lots of good things going on for the heart during that period of duration and that level of intensity. Now that the weather is warming, I'll get out in my kayak, hit some trails in the Shawnee National Forest (as opposed to the Scottish highlands), along with some other random things to keep it all shaken up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast