starting strength gym

Thread: Pilonidal cyst... How to 'program'

Default Pilonidal cyst... How to 'program'

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Son had a pilonidal cyst drained using a vessel loop with a pediatric surgeon. Loop removed about 1 week ago. Incision is still open and we need to wait for it to completely heal to resume squats and DLs, maybe a few more weeks to be 1000% certain.

My question... He can do upper body stuff. Can't do anything that would 'spread his butt cheeks'. For chest and shoulders, he can just go per the program, alternating bench and press m/w/f, until he heals, right? Also, may tell him him he can do some curls, so he stays interested.

I searched the forum and found a few, but not many, posts on this topic and found folks who had surgery for removal, not just a drain. (we're hopeful this won't recur..... Poor kid).

PS - he said when he recovers that he wants to do SS only, not return to team workouts.

You're going to have him bench with an open cyst between his ass cheeks? What happens when he lays down? He can certainly press and deadlift now, and maybe squat too. Might help it drain/heal faster.

The incision is only about 1/4 inch, and prob even smaller (haven't measured). No drainage for a week, so I THINK it is closed up...or there's nothing left to drain. Not sure. And he's got a huge ass, so plenty of space from the bench and cyst..... (He'd do everything if I gave him the green light.)

I figured that bench wasn't going to spread his butt, like squat and DL would do. I asked the surgeon specifically about squats and DLs, and that's when she and the PA said no lower body until fully healed, but upper was okay (and encouraged). Walking/light running was okay. No, she's not training.

In a past post about this (like 2014?), you had said to follow doctor's recommendations in this situation and let it fully heal. This was for a surgically removed cyst, so situation was different than ours. Assumed that we should follow that advice until it was all closed up, fully healed. That's why I asked about upper body protocol. (just explaining, not arguing).

This GD cyst can be chronic and eventually removed via surgery (if it returns, which they can) and that's a shitty recovery, so trying to make sure he doesn't have to worry about it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're going to have him bench with an open cyst between his ass cheeks? What happens when he lays down? He can certainly press and deadlift now, and maybe squat too. Might help it drain/heal faster.

Do you have any experience with this issue as a coach, Mark? If so, what was your approach for that individual's training? There are also a myriad of surgical options for this thing and I'm wondering what has the best outcomes. Apparently these things are a real pain in the ass.

A member at my gym is suffering this rather unfortunate affliction and he has also been completely relegated to doing upper body work. I don't know the exact specifics, but he also benches, albeit with his feet on the bench for the most part.

I have a had a couple of members over the years with a pilonidal cyst, and for them it was just a major inconvenience.