starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Starting Point

Default Starting Strength Starting Point

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Gear acquired (Rack, bar, weight). Question on the starting point.
    I've started my NLP (three days per week) and am finding a rhythm.

However...

I started each exercise with just a 45# barbell. I'm now a few weeks in, and progress is steady, but slow.
    A couple videos I watched on the four compound exercises (here) mentioned, as a starting point, taking each exercise, adding five pounds for a set of five, increasing until form starts to suffer, do two more sets, and then calling that a workout.
    The Question is: should I? Or is it better to keep going the route I'm on for now?
    Less worried about "quick gains"; more interested in longevity and sustainability...

... but this is MIGHTY slow.

Bought that BEFORE I got any equipment. Is that an implication that answer is in the book?

The answer IS IN THE BOOK. Read it.

Quote Originally Posted by zklimczak View Post

However...

I started each exercise with just a 45# barbell. I'm now a few weeks in, and progress is steady, but slow.
    A couple videos I watched on the four compound exercises (here) mentioned, as a starting point, taking each exercise, adding five pounds for a set of five, increasing until form starts to suffer, do two more sets, and then calling that a workout.
    The Question is: should I? Or is it better to keep going the route I'm on for now?
    Less worried about "quick gains"; more interested in longevity and sustainability...

You were never supposed to start with an empty bar as a work set weight, with the sole exception of if that really is a good weight for you. It sounds like you stumbled on the correct procedure for determining a start weight. It's in the blue book, it doesn't have its own section. The idea is you keep jumping the weight up evenly from the 45 pound bar until you hit a weight where the set starts to get slower toward the end, and then not just call it there but do two more sets at that weight with an actual rest before each. You get a conservative start weight that way but not one that's TOO conservative. Read the blue book in its entirety, or at least all the chapters covering the main lifts, and do it as soon as possible. There's a lot in there you will miss if you try to skim it looking for "just the important stuff".

However...

If you can afford it the coaching will get you past any bits you've missed or misunderstood in the book too. You'll also find you read the book several times as you refer back to specific sections.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    You were never supposed to start with an empty bar as a work set weight, with the sole exception of if that really is a good weight for you. It sounds like you stumbled on the correct procedure for determining a start weight. It's in the blue book, it doesn't have its own section. The idea is you keep jumping the weight up evenly from the 45 pound bar until you hit a weight where the set starts to get slower toward the end, and then not just call it there but do two more sets at that weight with an actual rest before each. You get a conservative start weight that way but not one that's TOO conservative. Read the blue book in its entirety, or at least all the chapters covering the main lifts, and do it as soon as possible. There's a lot in there you will miss if you try to skim it looking for "just the important stuff".
    Much appreciated Commander. Halfway through the "Deadlift" chapter, currently. Either I missed it entirely, or haven't hit that specific piece of information yet. In any case, if it's in there, I'll keep trucking to find it. Regardless, thanks for the clarification.

Halfway through the "Deadlift" chapter, currently. Either I missed it entirely, or haven't hit that specific piece of information yet. In any case, if it's in there, I'll keep trucking to find it. Regardless, thanks for the clarification.
    The info you seek was already in the squat chapter. And the Press chapter. And will come again in the Deadlift chapter, then the Bench Press chapter, etc., etc. It's not highlighted or emphasized, just another paragraph in each chapter. You'll have to read (or re-read carefully).

Not to be snarky, because I missed it the first time around and started every lift with an empty bar and progressed from there. I now refer to that year as my "Practice NLP" for that and many other reasons. The next time around, I had read and internalized those paragraphs and started much higher than an empty bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Not to be snarky, because I missed it the first time around and started every lift with an empty bar and progressed from there. I now refer to that year as my "Practice NLP" for that and many other reasons. The next time around, I had read and internalized those paragraphs and started much higher than an empty bar.
    Similar situation here. That's why I put so much emphasis on reading the whole thing without skimming or skipping. You've gotta grab a bookmark and read the thing like it's a novel, a couple pages before bed each night or something.

starting strength coach development program
    Ugh. Found it. Page 27. What's worse is: I highlighted it in my book when I read through it previously.

Shame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast