starting strength gym

Thread: Doing the lifts with a big time gap in between

Default Doing the lifts with a big time gap in between

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, hope everyone is doing well.
    The title is not much clear, as I don't know how to express the topic in few words, so apologies in advance.
    The question is about starting the workout in one place, doing two of the lifts (squat and bench press, for example) and then going to another place to do the other or other (deadlift, power clean, chins), with roughly 25/30 minutes in between.
    I am asking because gyms are opening up in my country right now, and there is a very small gym in my small town which has a power rack that would allow for me to do squats and the bench press safely. However, since it is so small and they are quite a little bit ignorant, they do not allow deadlifts.
    Obviously, this is not optimal. I do know that. There is a clear time loss (not money tho because the gym is almost free, arround 6 dollars a month).
    I want to do the lifts properly, and safely and an investment in an home gym is way beyond my reach right now.
    I would like to know if that time gap has a big impact on training to see if it is something viable or not.
    Thank you for your time, as always.

While not optimal, it's reality.

Just know that you may have to warm up again when you get to the second gym, if you're going to travel. But why not just do the entire workout at the second gym that allows deadlifts?

Yes, that is true, ai will keep it in mind. The weather might be in my favor since it is getting warmer where I live. Well, the second gym doesn't have a squat or power rack, and the only place to bench is a smith machine. I had been squating and pressing in an old pull up/dip station, placing the bar in the dip handles. But that is too unsafe and as the weight gets heavier on the squat, I worry that might the handles might snap so it isn't even a viable option for progression.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardoCav View Post
    But that is too unsafe and as the weight gets heavier on the squat, I worry that might the handles might snap so it isn't even a viable option for progression.
    That would answer it for me — split the workout.

Take advantage of that time between gyms and get a bit of extra fuel in your system, especially for heavy deadlifts.

It won’t matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericw View Post
    It won’t matter at all.
    I agree. As long as you get warmed up the time between different lifts won't matter.

About 10 months into my NLP as things were getting tough even with micro loading I had some time restricted workouts so I split them two ways:
    Squats only followed the next day by bench and deadlift or
    Squats and bench followed the next day by deadlift only.
    Of course I assumed the worse would happen to my progress (YNDTFP)

To my surprise, my deadlift took an immediate jump followed by a boost in my squats.
    First, this improved not only my strength but my attitude about occasional time restraints. Second, after a few more months I transitioned to HLM per Barbell Prescription and things keep improving. Lesson learned: don't fear a break whether it's an hour or 24 hours.

(Typical age disclaimer: I'm 68 yo)

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you all for the answers, I will start trying it out this week