starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance: When to Stop Trying to Train | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Someday maintenance comes to us all I guess. At least if we're determined not to succumb to couch potatohood.

Like Browndog, my first read of it kind of left me wondering though, and the follow-up clarified things for me as well. It could be that it read that way for me is because, like BD, I still compete. Which I would not have done absent getting my form squared away at a seminar and earlier encouragement from this site to compete as a means of focusing behind a purpose for your training. Perhaps that frame of reference colored my perception of what was meant by the article on first review.

But that said, I think competing is still a worthwhile means of prolonging training for as long as possible. Why? Because as you get older the demands for poundage in your age bracket gets lower. You can look up who you have to contend with and whether or not you can or think you might be able to beat them. A good way to do that is to look at the Powerlifting Rankings site and sort it by all federations, tested lifters, raw, weight, age, and year. This will give you a reference point for how to proceed and across all federations internationally. I came in 3rd last year and it kept me motivated.

I do know that the guys who were number #1 and #2 have a total of 150 lbs. + more than I am likely to ever achieve these days, but I have no problem taking a 3rd in that kind of company.

I wish I could find an interview of Pat Casey in his 60's. He was the first to bench press 600 in the infancy of powerlifting. He said that it was kinda pathetic how the weights he once handled were compared to what he was lifting now. But continue to lift he did. Whatever your motivation for lifting is, keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    I liked the article it’s sensible and smart to grow old gracefully. In my case I’ll never hit a pr again compared to my 40s but I still train/maintain as best as possible.
    Here is why it both sucks and awesome to start strength training with SS at 50.

1) Sucks: It's a bitch in your 50's. Everything hurts and the mental toughness required to add 5 ponds to the bar isn't there sometimes. And forget about approaching close to your genetic potential.

2) Awesome: Even though my middle age numbers are laughable by some standards, I HAVE NEVER BEEN STRONGER IN MY LIFE! When I stop and think about it, that is a pretty amazing statement. Yes I have been faster, meaner, quicker, and could jump higher in my past. But the mid-20's me would be crushed if I attempted the movements with my current work sets.

Strength is a hell of a drug.

I’m turning 70 next year, 6 months ago I was doing 5s with 390 lbs on my squats but I was really having trouble recovering.

I just felt beat up so I backed off to 325 ish and started working more on conditioning on my bicycle basically just riding in hilly Georgia. Every up hill I push myself so it’s kind of like intervals.

I feel better now so I’m holding at my easier squat level and trying to build my pressing strength up,

My pressing sucks, both bench and overhead so that’s going to be my focus for the next 6 months.

I’m one of those weird people that love lifting so I’m never going to quit.

Yeah, that's why we've told you not to do 5s when you're 70.

It’s not easy for me to admit I can no longer do something younger me used to do.

I have to learn those lessons the hard way.

Not smart but truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yeah, that's why we've told you not to do 5s when you're 70.
    Hmmm, good to know. How then does this get incorporated in the Two Steps Forward One Step Back program for competing geezers in the Barbell Prescription? Because the first two cycles of this program have sets of 5's and 4's respectively.

You got me, Hurling.

Ok then, should I address my question to the authors?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Hmmm, good to know. How then does this get incorporated in the Two Steps Forward One Step Back program for competing geezers in the Barbell Prescription? Because the first two cycles of this program have sets of 5's and 4's respectively.
    First off, how about you stop using apostrophes in retarded ways, Hurling? I mean, if you're going to be all pretentious with your language 9.99999 times out of 10, at least get the simple stuff right.

Now, I hope you can work out that an example of an elderly advanced lifter using, by definition, a program specifically tailored to him is a specific case and that 5s and 4s are already cut down from what an advanced lifter who still has sproingy balls might be up to. Examples != a program written out for anyone.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    First off, how about you stop using apostrophes in retarded ways, Hurling? I mean, if you're going to be all pretentious with your language 9.99999 times out of 10, at least get the simple stuff right.

Now, I hope you can work out that an example of an elderly advanced lifter using, by definition, a program specifically tailored to him is a specific case and that 5s and 4s are already cut down from what an advanced lifter who still has sproingy balls might be up to. Examples != a program written out for anyone.
    I love you, stef.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast