starting strength gym

Thread: Strength and Weightlifting

Default Strength and Weightlifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I know this topic has been beaten to death on the board, so apologies for re-opening it.

I was watching the European Championships last week and was very entertained by the 81kg men. Karlos Nasar of Bulgaria, 16 years old, made an impressive run, ultimately missing gold in the total by 1kg, and hitting 206 in the jerks. Unsurprisingly the usual contingent of youtube commenters are out in force with opinions on how he got to this point.

Of interest to us, maybe: he has a video on instagram from when he was a very skinny 13 year old, hitting a 180kg squat. Over the course of the next two years or so, he brought his squat up to 270. Which is impressive, but maybe not remarkable. I mean, if anyone is going to add 200lbs to their squat in 2 years, it's a gifted, motivated kid going through puberty who's got the time to train, eat, and sleep.

I'm not really interested in debating whether he was clean or not, but I will note that he he was very strong as a skinny kid, and he's still only an 81kg at 5'10". I'm more interested in the fact that they took a kid and got his squat to 600lbs while training the contested lifts (and, his clean is far from perfect, technically). I wonder what would have happened if he came up in the US system...probably they would have taken his squat to 405 and made him work on technique for the next 10 years.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching him grow into the sport.

Puberty is a hell of a drug.

I have a 14 year old lifter who took 3 months off, got 2 inches taller and incidentally gained 10lb, and she's crushing her old PRs. All we did was start LP again.

I can't speak to what the US Olympic team would have done to a skinny 13 year old in terms of training.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Puberty is a hell of a drug.

I have a 14 year old lifter who took 3 months off, got 2 inches taller and incidentally gained 10lb, and she's crushing her old PRs. All we did was start LP again.

I can't speak to what the US Olympic team would have done to a skinny 13 year old in terms of training.
    Absolutely. I gained about 35lbs in a year between 14 and 15. I can't imagine what that would have looked like if I had been training and not just working my ass off on the farm. Youth is wasted on the young.