starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardio Programming

Default Cardio Programming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After reading Dr Sully's post about cardio for us older folks, I think he was talking to me, hahaha.

What is the recommended programming for cardio, time, heart rate, etc.

I personally approach it recreationally without paying much attention to the details.

Prowlers are good if you have access to one. Rip posted a video on how to use one properly.

Do you have The Barbell Prescription?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Do you have The Barbell Prescription?
    Yes

Since you seem to want some metrics, here are a few. Perhaps not quite in keeping with the more generalized approach SS usually does related to this subject.

Heart Rate:
    There are some complicated ways to determine ideal heart rates (HR) and percentages derived from maximum heart rate (MHR). The simplest is the Karvonen Method, which is 220 minus your age. I'm 70, so mine comes to 150 beats per minute (BPM) as the MHR. Easy-peasy.

Intensity:
    You have some choices here. 60% of MHR is low to moderate intensity. 60%-80% of MHR is moderate intensity. 80%+ of MHR is high intensity.

Time:
    A function of your choice of intensity. You can sustain low intensity longer than you can high intensity, not unlike with lifting. So, in general, Low Intensity around 60 minutes. Moderate Intensity around 30 minutes. High Intensity 15 to less than 30 minutes. No less twice a week and no more than three to four times a week.

This plays out in terms of times and approaches that range from, you can walk for longer periods at a low intensity pace or jam it out quickly in a 15+ minutes with HIIT intervals. Then too there's a Graded Exercise Protocol (GXP) What do you do for conditioning?

The above is a compilation of stuff from Ken Cooper's approach, called aerobics, along with some others who came along after his foundational work in the late 60's.

The Barbell Prescription outlines starting conditioning for prowler work for masters, but there are a few articles on this site about conditioning you may want to read as well.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I was hoping to hear something from Dr. Sully about his perspective as a doctor and a strength coach. I was wondering if that data from back in the 60s had changed any and if he's recommendations had varied any since Barbell Prescription. It just seems strange that the doctrine here is so clear and defined by 5x3 +5 and repeat (using the Sully notation.) But the article was so vague.

My own experience has been that NLP provided enough HITT like training that nothing else was needed. As I have progress further my cardiac conditioning has dropped off as I'm generating less heart rate with lifts now. I base the measurement of my cardiac conditioning with resting heart rate and ability to hit higher heart rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    I base the measurement of my cardiac conditioning with resting heart rate and ability to hit higher heart rates.
    Maybe (if you aren't already doing so) you could wear a heart rate monitor like a Polar during lifting, or a FitBit or other 24/7 device for more comprehensive information both during and after training, as well as overnight resting heart rate.

I used a Polar for some years and now use a FitBit. The Polar was good for keeping an eye on training alone, but the 24/7 look wearing a FitBit or similar device was much more informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    I was hoping to hear something from Dr. Sully about his perspective as a doctor and a strength coach. I was wondering if that data from back in the 60s had changed any and if he's recommendations had varied any since Barbell Prescription. It just seems strange that the doctrine here is so clear and defined by 5x3 +5 and repeat (using the Sully notation.) But the article was so vague.

My own experience has been that NLP provided enough HITT like training that nothing else was needed.

We have made exactly this same point many times.

As I have progress further my cardiac conditioning has dropped off as I'm generating less heart rate with lifts now.
    And this one too.

I base the measurement of my cardiac conditioning with resting heart rate and ability to hit higher heart rates.
    That's roughly appropriate.

Recommendations in The Barbell Prescription stand. I would not make any modifications to them. Your conditioning prescription will be tailored to your needs, capacities, limitations, goals--and your sport. So a blanket prescription other than "do your HIIT as prescribed in BBRx" is not in the offing.

I'm not sure which ("vague") article you are talking about, but we have just put up a new video on this topic:

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    I'm not sure which ("vague") article you are talking about, but we have just put up a new video on this topic:
    [/video]
    Conditioning Modalities for Masters | Jonathon Sullivan

The one that created multiple discussions around here about more cardio. Plenty of talk about doing cardio, what kind of cardio tools to pick, but nothing programming it. That's my point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast