starting strength gym

Thread: Dogma or Doctrine? | Capt James Rodgers

Default Dogma or Doctrine? | Capt James Rodgers

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A criticism of the Starting Strength method is that its approach is dogmatic, that it does not account for individual differences, and that its rigorous application of standards for the execution of programming of the lifts constitutes some sort of a belief system, not an optimized approach to achieving a certain end.

Read article

This is good but the topic can be fleshed out a bit more, in the 1850s the german theological liberals referred to dogma as a curse word. According to Louis Berkhof in his book"systematic theology" Dogmatics was the term used for theological texts for most of Christian history, Systematic theology was the term used mostly in America, so the two words can be used interchangeably. The word dogmatic has become a curse word today in the religious world largely due to Germany and France. It connotates a kind of fundamentalism.
    Before the Frankfurt school destroyed modernity in 1930 the germans had to first undermine theology in the 1850s, the book Christianity and Liberalism by J Gresham Mechan written in 1930 records how Christianity and German Liberalism are two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by bendy-legs View Post
    This is good but the topic can be fleshed out a bit more, in the 1850s the german theological liberals referred to dogma as a curse word. According to Louis Berkhof in his book"systematic theology" Dogmatics was the term used for theological texts for most of Christian history, Systematic theology was the term used mostly in America, so the two words can be used interchangeably. The word dogmatic has become a curse word today in the religious world largely due to Germany and France. It connotates a kind of fundamentalism.
    Before the Frankfurt school destroyed modernity in 1930 the germans had to first undermine theology in the 1850s, the book Christianity and Liberalism by J Gresham Mechan written in 1930 records how Christianity and German Liberalism are two different things.
    All yours man, there is no way that I'm wading into theology, it's too far beyond any topic that I have any business talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    that it does not account for individual differences
    That old chestnut. “That might be true for you, but not for me” “fine in theory, but not in practice” “things aren’t black and white, they are really grey”

If something is true, it’s true for everyone. If a theory is fine, then it is so in practice. Grey is a mixture of black and white, hence things ARE black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by James Rodgers View Post
    All yours man, there is no way that I'm wading into theology, it's too far beyond any topic that I have any business talking about.
    It's more church history than theology, I've been rolling these ideas around for a while but don't have an outlet. Also, I was hammered when I posted that comment.