starting strength gym

Thread: 5th rep of last set

Default 5th rep of last set

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello

Can a SS coach please advise what to do if I successfully complete the first 2 sets of squats, bench press or press, but then fail the 5th rep of the 3rd set. ie 5,5 then only get 4 on the last set.

In this situation, do you recommend going up in weight the next workout, or should I not increase the weight unless I have been able to do 3 sets of 5?

thanks a lot.

Have you read Starting Strength or Practical Programming to look for this answer?

This kind of question has been addressed many many times on this website as well.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

In that instance I'd bump up the rest interval by a minute and try that weight again. Also, when that occurs in the future, rack the bar for a minute and then try for rep 5 after that short breather. But this sort of situation generally means you could've hit that last rep with a bit more rest between sets. Only increase the weight if you complete all 3 sets. If you bring the weight up next time your performance will just fall further behind. And yes, this is all stuff in the books/on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmll View Post
    Hello

Can a SS coach please advise what to do if I successfully complete the first 2 sets of squats, bench press or press, but then fail the 5th rep of the 3rd set. ie 5,5 then only get 4 on the last set.

In this situation, do you recommend going up in weight the next workout, or should I not increase the weight unless I have been able to do 3 sets of 5?

thanks a lot.
    Here's a freebie — The Reset: Why and How by Rori Alter.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    In that instance I'd bump up the rest interval by a minute and try that weight again. Also, when that occurs in the future, rack the bar for a minute and then try for rep 5 after that short breather. But this sort of situation generally means you could've hit that last rep with a bit more rest between sets. Only increase the weight if you complete all 3 sets. If you bring the weight up next time your performance will just fall further behind. And yes, this is all stuff in the books/on the site.
    When I began having trouble with the last rep of the 3rd set on my press during my 3rd month in the program, that was the advice one of the coaches here gave me. I increased my working set rest periods from 3min to 4min, and on my deadlift, I now take 5min between last warmup and working set. No problems since.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmll View Post
    Hello

thanks a lot.
    Did you in fact fail it ? Did you fail to attempt it, or give up part way through ? Failing is when you actually go for it, when you spend what feels like an eternity struggling (grinding) and then the bar either stops moving, reverses, or you and the bar crash on the safeties.

The last rep is what separates the man from the boy. It’s where every synapse is telling you that it can’t be done and that injury and humiliation will be the outcome. It’s that rep after the fourth felt like it wouldn’t go and you only just survived it. The metal for that 5th is where you are made, or you break.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    That is one of my favorite articles! Re-reading it just now, not only does Coach Alter cover when to reset, she also hits on a lot of the issues when moving into advanced novice territory--truly excellent!