starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift more in flat shoes?

Default Deadlift more in flat shoes?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is just a question about why can I dead more in flats than in half inch heels. I have read about if you are not a competitive power lifter you are just training to get strong it doesnt matter and there maybe less distance to pull. I'm not arguing the point between using either.

So with that said, I can pull 15lbs(7.5kg) more for 5 in flats than in half inch lifting shoes. I am wondering if it's anatomical, set up, mental or more just something that varies from person to person?

Just for info I'm 50, doing the program 14wks, DL is 170kgs for 5 in heeled shoes, 177.5 in flats. Took a while to get lifting shoes due to foot size. Stalled at 180kg so did a reset and found some lifting shoes at the same time.

Thanks muchly.

Not sure what your anthropometry is, but I am a rather long-femured individual. My knees stick out a solid inch or two past the crease of my elbows in the start position with lifters. I wear lifters to squat, but kept hurting my hip/back in the deadlift early on while wearing lifters.

I went to socks only and things got better with my hip but then my arches started hurting (imagine that?). I finally broke down and bought a pair of Sabo Deadlift Shoes. They have a metatarsal strap, a very thin sole I would call semi-soft, and nice upper support. Now my arches feel good and I don’t have hip/back issues.

The biggest drawback is they take a bit of time to put on. If you’re hellbent on wearing flats, give them a try. At least you get the benefits of good arch support with almost the same feeling as that of a flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    Not sure what your anthropometry is, but I am a rather long-femured individual. My knees stick out a solid inch or two past the crease of my elbows in the start position with lifters. I wear lifters to squat, but kept hurting my hip/back in the deadlift early on while wearing lifters.

I went to socks only and things got better with my hip but then my arches started hurting (imagine that?). I finally broke down and bought a pair of Sabo Deadlift Shoes. They have a metatarsal strap, a very thin sole I would call semi-soft, and nice upper support. Now my arches feel good and I don’t have hip/back issues.

The biggest drawback is they take a bit of time to put on. If you’re hellbent on wearing flats, give them a try. At least you get the benefits of good arch support with almost the same feeling as that of a flat.
    I’ve been lifting in my squat shoes because of the struggle to change in and out of the SABO boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I’ve been lifting in my squat shoes because of the struggle to change in and out of the SABO boots.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one. I really do like deadlifting in them, though. They seem to be ideal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    Glad to see I'm not the only one. I really do like deadlifting in them, though. They seem to be ideal for me.
    I think they might be a form of mental prop, but there’s nowt wrong with that. My squat shoes have very little heel or sole, so the difference is likely negligible. It’s that sense of occasion getting into the preparation for a heavy deadlift, like putting on armour for battle. Boots, belt, chalk, lift.

starting strength coach development program
    My coach had me try dead lifting in socks after some form/setup issues. (I'm fat). I like it much better. I wear my squat shoes for everything else.