starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the squat "wait" for the Deadlift

Default Should the squat "wait" for the Deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi!

New lifter, 34 years of age, beeing on the SSLP for 6 weeks.
    Minor issues with herniated discs, made me afraid for lifting heavy, but the SS has really made it going for me, thanks!

I feel that after introducing the powerclean, the squat is catching up to the deadlift. Last DL was at 120kg/264lbs (sorry, norwegian lifter here ) for 5x1, but my grip was an issue for the first time.
    Ive read alot about grip strength, and I shall try to take care of that with the hook grip etc... but i really think I should try straps for my next DL workout, just to not let it be "behind". My plan is to warm up
    with hook grip, take 1 rep of my working weight with the hook grip, and then let the working set be performed with straps. I hope my grip will catch up eventually. Does this sound like a good idea?
    If I should keep staying on 120kg, until my grip is stronger, my squat will catch up and surpass the deadlift in a short time. I am adding 5 pounds on every workout for both the Sq and DL.

So is there a issue with squatting heavier than my deadlift if this happens? Is there a fatigue issue, since I squat, bench and then deadlift for example? Im a new lifter, so I really dont feel the fatigue or soreness
    at the workout... but maybe I will struggle on the deadlift if I let the squat go up?

Should i "pause" the squat... lifting the same weight for some workouts, until the dealift is get some new headstart? or just keep lifting as normal?
    Should I wait with the powerclean, and just do deadlift for pulling, 6 weeks into the program?

oh boy... sorry if ths was unclear, but thanks for any help in advance!

If do one rep of your work set with a hook grip, stop, get your straps, and then perform four more reps, you did not do a work set of five reps; you did a single and a quad. Just hook grip your work set.

Do not pause anything. Just keep doing the program.

I recommend that you do not stop progressing your squat because your deadlift has stalled.

If your squat keeps going up, that is a good thing because you are getting stronger and there is no reason to stop a good thing from happening. You do not know for sure that you will be in a position to get your squat going back up in six weeks so if you can do it now, do it now.

Your deadlift is stalled because of the technical problems that you identified in the second paragraph of your question. Just address those problems and do not slow yourself down.

Have you tried mixed grip?

You should be learning to use hook grip for your cleans, anyway. My experience is that if you can pull one rep with a hook grip, you can pull all five, as long as you don't let go between reps. Even if your grip fails you can switch to mixed to finish the set. Straps have their place, but you shouldn't need them yet.

1. Chalk
    2. Overhand grip.
    3. Hook grip.
    4. Mixed grip.

In that order. Do not do 2-4 without doing 1 first.

Then do sets of 5. Not 1+4 or 3+2 or any other permutation. Fives.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    1. Chalk
    2. Overhand grip.
    3. Hook grip.
    4. Mixed grip.

In that order. Do not do 2-4 without doing 1 first.

Then do sets of 5. Not 1+4 or 3+2 or any other permutation. Fives.
    Five is the number, no more - no less.

Where did your deadlift start? Where did your squat start? Where's your squat at now? Have you made absolutely damn sure you're squatting to the correct depth? Usually when someone very early in the novice program has a squat blowing away their deadlift, the problem is actually they are squatting with too much weight and not enough. depth. Runner up problem is they haven't gotten deadlift technique down, which is artificially lowering how much weight they can deadlift. I'd recommend taking advantage of the technique forum for form checks on both. Just make sure you are squatting to depth in the video before you post it, or you shall call down a terrible wrath.

This is of course in addition to the advice on grip solutions, and not breaking your set up to use straps. All good advice.

Thanks for all the help and tips.
    I wasnt planning to do one rep of the fhaaaves with the hook grip, and then complete the last 4 with straps. I thought about taking one rep with chalk and hook grip, with the same weight as my working set, and then take the five reps with straps. My gym doesnt alow chalk, so 120kg was the heaviest i have managed with hook grip.

Planning to sneak in some liquid chalk, and just continue my progression, with a Little help of straps if needed.

Thanks again🙌

Quote Originally Posted by Åsali View Post
    I wasnt planning to do one rep of the fhaaaves with the hook grip, and then complete the last 4 with straps. I thought about taking one rep with chalk and hook grip, with the same weight as my working set, and then take the five reps with straps. My gym doesnt alow chalk, so 120kg was the heaviest i have managed with hook grip.

Planning to sneak in some liquid chalk, and just continue my progression, with a Little help of straps if needed.

Thanks again🙌
    Use a hook grip with three layers of vet tape around each thumb. Or use straps. Use one or the other and stick with it until you get comfortable using it.

Grip strength should have nothing to do with your max 5X deadlift.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Åsali View Post

You haven't been using chalk. That one snuck through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast