starting strength gym

Thread: I didn't do the program, now I'm fat

Default I didn't do the program, now I'm fat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Howdy,

I've been reluctant to post this because I'm pretty sure the answer will be "YNDTP, Read The First Three Questions and A Clarification. Also, stop being a p*ssy." And you'd probably be right.

I'm a broke college student, so the only information I can afford is the blue book and all the free YouTube videos, podcasts, and articles I can consume. Sometimes even quality nutrition is a luxury.

I read the blue book a year ago, and did my best to follow the program. I did well at first, but p*ssied out at heavier weights. Long story short, I added 30 lbs of BW in the last 10 months, but my squat has only gone up by 20 lbs in that time. I didn't closely track my calories or macros either. I know, YNDTP. However, in this time, I've never done running, cross fit, or any other silly BS; just the five main lifts, with chins, three days a week.

I'm not focused on how heavy the scale says I am, or even concerned with having visible abs, so long as I am able to lift heavier and heavier weights. However, it's clear to me that what I'm doing now is not working toward that goal.

I know I need a coach or maybe a seminar, but it's just not financially feasible right now. I've consulted the First Three Questions, and the only thing I might be lacking is adequate sleep.

Current numbers:
    21 y/o male, 6'2"
    250# BW
    340# squat
    385# deadlift
    210# bench
    130# press
    165# clean

It's not impressive, but I could lift similar numbers at 220# bw.

I would like to reach these goals as soon as possible:
    455# squat
    500# deadlift
    275# bench
    185# press
    225# clean

So my question is, how do I make an increase in bodyweight correlate more strongly with an increase in strength? Is the answer to focus on nutrition/sleep/recovery?

For the time being, I am just going to double check my form on the forum and try to track my calories and protein better. I'm pretty sure there is more weight I can add to the bar before getting into intermediate programming. 345x5x3 just feels too damn hard two days after a 340x5x3 workout. I'm in College Station, so a day trip to Starting Strength Houston isn't entirely out of the question.

Thanks for all the help.

This is ridiculous, pointless. If you guys want to type, go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan House View Post
    a day trip to Starting Strength Houston isn't entirely out of the question.
    Do this.

You started the novice program squatting 320 pounds?

This is pathetic trolling. Why do people do this?

Your job with nutrition is to hit 1g protein/lb of bodyweight.

The best source of protein is dead animal. Start eating a portion of dead animal with every meal. Ground beef is pretty inexpensive and keeps well when frozen. You can also mass produce consistently-sized patties once a week to make meal planning simple.

Gaining weight is obviously not an issue with you, so just get the protein intake up, add weight to your lifts and stay stop being afraid of failure.

You'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan House View Post
    I'm in College Station, so a day trip to Starting Strength Houston isn't entirely out of the question.
    From College Station, it isn't even a day trip to Austin or Houston. They both do an open house. Do that, or book a private session, or call to see if they will let you drop in. I highly recommend getting group instruction at a Starting Strength gym.

First, you’re gaining weight so your diet is probably not the main problem. Have you actually failed reps, or did it just feel too hard. Its meant to feel hard, unless you fail then keep going.

Eventually, after a proper reset you add light squats on Wed etc. run out the program properly.

Also 250 at 6’2 is not a big problem.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't think this is a real person, guys.