starting strength gym

Thread: Rogue Thompson fat pad / Starting Strength benching method

Default Rogue Thompson fat pad / Starting Strength benching method

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    There’s an old post in the forums from 2013 about a gentleman who’s interesting in purchasing a Rogue Thompson Fat pad. I already own one, and I’m curious if the increased width of the pad is impacting my ability to perform the bench press to SS standards.

I will upload a video Monday when I am in the gym to train, don’t have one currently.

I’m 5’6 200lbs. Current bench programing is 5x3@270. Using the RTFP, my shoulder girdle is fully on top of the pad.

I have a Fat Pad on a Rogue Monster Utility Bench 2.0, and I think it's pointless for most people, myself included. I'm no Julius Maddox, but I bench mid-3s and have wide shoulders. For me, it encourages an asymmetric setup, and doesn't ameliorate shoulder pain. I prefer a comp bench or the SS bench.

Do you have the 14 inch wide version?

Yes I do! I just switched it out for a plain 2x10 today- figured it’s as close to the SSG bench as I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    I have a Fat Pad on a Rogue Monster Utility Bench 2.0, and I think it's pointless for most people, myself included. I'm no Julius Maddox, but I bench mid-3s and have wide shoulders. For me, it encourages an asymmetric setup, and doesn't ameliorate shoulder pain. I prefer a comp bench or the SS bench.
    This was my thought as well. After switched to a 2x10 I noticed (rather obviously) the difference in material was pretty stark and it will probably take me a week or two to get used to the new setup. Aside from the issue of comfort, it felt much easier to fine tune any form issues with the extra 4 inches of room on either side.