starting strength gym

Thread: Why the world record for the squat is heavier than the one for the deadlift?

Default Why the world record for the squat is heavier than the one for the deadlift?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Im not in the world of elite competition and theres something that i find strange: Why the world record for the squat is heavier than the one for the deadlift? Even the record without knee wraps is heavier than Thor's or Eddie Hall's deadlift.

Powerlifters don't train or perform the deadlift very effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Is that because they tend to write it off as being too taxing on the CNS and therefore deleterious to their squat and benchpress (or overhead press)? I can't think of any other reason because they can still pick up points from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    When you say “perform” the deadlift effectively, I understand this as they are not able to get into an optimal position. Specifically, their belly hits their thighs and they cannot achieve the proper lumbar extension while maintaining high hips and the shoulders positioned slightly in front of the bar. They, in this example, are the lifters with the highest squat numbers. Is that accurate?

As I have observed several times, advanced lifters' squats usually get close to their deadlifts even if the deadlift is trained correctly. And not all powerlifters are fat, contrary to what you have been told. But when your deadlift coaching consists of "JUST PICK IT UP OFF THE FUCKING FLOOR!!! GRIP IT AND RIP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!", then you will not optimize your deadlift training.