starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight jumps

Default Weight jumps

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

I'm currently deployed overseas, and started the NLP about 3 weeks ago. So far ive been able to stick with it. But although the gym is fantastic, the smallest weights they have are 5 lb. Can I get the same results by jumping up 10 lb every second or third session, or am I setting my self up for a grinding halt soon?

It'll work for a little bit, but you'll hit a dead stop in pretty short order. You should order some 2.5lb plates. Get some 1.25lb while you're ordering plates anyway.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    It'll work for a little bit, but you'll hit a dead stop in pretty short order. You should order some 2.5lb plates. Get some 1.25lb while you're ordering plates anyway.
    This. Consider the cost of 5's and 1.25's as an investment in you.
    When they arrive, stencil your name on them and keep them locked in your gear locker and take them with you every workout.
    You will have them for when you return home and for future deployments.

I got a set of micro plate pairs 1.0, .75, .5, .25, which all together add up to 2.5 each side.
    I don’t know where you are, but the whole set is pretty small and easily fits in a gym bag. And would do for now, and later when you need smaller jumps.

2.5 pound plates may still be hard to come by. I had issues last year trying to buy them. I ended up buying 4, 1.25 pound plates. Just an option if you need it

Hang 2.5- or 1.25-pound pieces of chain on the bar. Make the plates out of 2-inch flat washers.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll see what I can rustle up

There's someone here on this site that makes microplates. I purchased them after getting lightly scolded by Mark.

They came relativity fast. I don't recall the name so search my post history.

Go over to Microgainz.com they have 2.5s in stock. Get some 1.25s while you are there. Great plates, dead on balls accurate in weight and ship quick. I go to a barbell gym but still 2.5s are hard to find some times, is I just bring my own 2.5, 1.25 and 5/8lbs. I'm old so I used that 1.25 jumps sometimes.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    There's someone here on this site that makes microplates. I purchased them after getting lightly scolded by Mark.

They came relativity fast. I don't recall the name so search my post history.
    Here's the link:

2018 microplates for sale, METRIC now available

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast