starting strength gym

Thread: Why we do this

Default Why we do this

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yes it's great and all to talk about person PRs and self realization, but sometimes real life gives us the real reason for building strength and why we do this. I'm 14 months short of 60. Not a youngster in any way.

The young kid in the shop is assembling a new welding table, likely about 150 to 180 lbs. Once it's ready to pick it up and turn it right side up, he ask me to help. Not any of the other 30 and 40 something engineers.

Thank makes it worth while!

Exactly. And your example is hopefully seeping into his subconscious and he'll use your example as a path to a long, strong life.

He's a good friend of mine and like minded. He's cross fitter right now but I think will settle down later to just building strength after he gets a family and all. He was part of my inspiration to get stronger three or four years ago when he started training and eating right. Through all of this I've learned the value of being an example for others as we get older.

I like it because it feels like the one thing in life I can easily and honestly see I am doing well at and improving. If I did 5 more pounds, no one can try to trick me and tell me I didn't. And if I failed, then I failed, and I can't delude myself. The bar does not lie.

I’m 52 years old.. a bit overweight (maybe more than a bit). End of last year I was fishing for smallmouth bass on the Snake River in Idaho. I fell overboard, fully clothed including a hoodie.. no life jacket.

I swam back to the boat (a small distance), and pulled myself back up and into the boat. I made my next cast before the water stopped dripping off my ears. (I was after all, there to fish).

My 30 something brother in law still can’t believe I lifted myself back into the boat. “Strong people are harder to kill than weak people”. - Mark somebody said that.

I have a long long way to go, but it felt good to be able to do that.