starting strength gym

Thread: This is really bad!

Default This is really bad!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So after binging YouTube videos, reading the blue and grey book and executed the NLP for 10 weeks.... I need to let off some steam!

Im not a big guy. I'm 35 this summer, and have had back injuries for almost two years.

Still... I am catching up on "the other guys" in my gym after just 2-3 months of the NLP.... and this includes young strong men in the military (in their early 20s!)
    The biggest notice is in the squat. The few who lifts more than me... are now preaching "yeah but you will stall soon!" and "that seem too much!" and "volume is just way too much, you should focus on other exercises, etc". sigh...

There seem to be an issue, when people find the weights heavy, or "stalling" that they've reached their genetic potential! When I try to talk about micro loading in the press movements... they won't listen. They find my shiny Eleiko microplates "cool", but then never ask to try them.
    Everybody are always trying some max lift.. and nobody talks about volume. Its always maybe just 1 heavy set.. and then they quit. They are frustrated, I can see that.
    If someone has a "bad day", they always keep the lifts light. I tried to help them focus on keep on lifting, and that their form and speed is really good, they just feel sluggish (ref RPE!!) I know that not everybody have the goal of lifting heavier weights.. but I am talking about those who do!

Again, I am a novice... but my goals after "SS education" will surpass some more experienced lifters this year, Im sure!

This bad knowledge from general fitness is a crime to so many young lifters....

I can hear my brain thinking "that's fucked up..." when I talk to other lifters... and I am about to evolve a claw on my right hand... is there any hope??

Those same people are probably still wearing masks. Most people cannot understand most things. The Human Condition.

That's typical for commercial gyms.
    I outlifted almost everyone in my gym after 3-4 months.
    Only a couple really strong dudes who lifted for a long time and probably juiced too could lift more.
    People are set in their ways and their beliefs and don't listen.
    I helped a couple of kids who asked me and did listen but usually they don't last. They just want to do the same high bar quarter squat with running shoes on.
    The great Bertrand Russell said:
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong...
    Last edited by Kostas Theodorakis; 05-15-2021 at 10:53 AM.

I watched a guy load 180kg for the DL. Hitch like mad and fail to lock out. Then load the bar with 190Kg :-/