starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I’m Fat. What Do I Do? | Carl Raghavan

Default I’m Fat. What Do I Do? | Carl Raghavan

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m in the weight room with a client. The newbie gains aren’t what they used to be, and my lifter is wondering what’s going on. Inevitably, the age-old conversation arises. “Are you eating enough?” I ask. The response: “I eat loads. Besides, I’m already fat, and I don’t want to get any bigger.”

Read article

For most people it took a decade or more to get fat. An they think they can dig themselves out in months or even a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Spicka View Post
    For most people it took a decade or more to get fat. An they think they can dig themselves out in months or even a year?
    the fat here is a loose term. It’s mostly that people buy really tight clothes, so when they get close to the next size up, they freak out.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Spicka View Post
    And they think it is the strength training or cardio that helps them lose the fat, instead is of all the other lifestyle changes they make when starting these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    And they think it is the strength training or cardio that helps them lose the fat, instead is of all the other lifestyle changes they make when starting these things.
    Calories in calories out.

"In fact, most men idealize a physique that’s 10 to 15lbs lighter (sometimes more) than women say they would prefer."

Do you have a link for that survey?

"So what am I classing as baseline level? Well, the Starting Strength Sticker Club is a good frame of reference: Press/Bench/Squat/Deadlift: 200/300/400/500lbs for males and 100/155/225/315lbs for females". Two quick questions from a Master-age lifter: Are these baseline levels different for those age 50? Does the Sticker Club membership require fives or singles at these amounts? Thanks for any clarification that anyone can provide!

Quote Originally Posted by George Bailey View Post
    "So what am I classing as baseline level? Well, the Starting Strength Sticker Club is a good frame of reference: Press/Bench/Squat/Deadlift: 200/300/400/500lbs for males and 100/155/225/315lbs for females". Two quick questions from a Master-age lifter: Are these baseline levels different for those age 50? Does the Sticker Club membership require fives or singles at these amounts? Thanks for any clarification that anyone can provide!
    From my knowledge this benchmark is singles and age is not included. I'm 47 and chasing it! I'm almost there on everything but the bench. My goal is to hit it by age 50. I'm 47 now.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bailey View Post
    Singles.

There may be a more current version of the attached table for McCulloch age coefficients used by the USAPL. At 50, the coefficient is 1.13. At 60, it is 1.34. At 70, it is 1.645. Although many 50-year-old lifters could hit those numbers, I don't think you'll find too many 70-year-old recreational lifters who could do so. At 50, I would use the above numbers. At 70, I would adjust accordingly.

http://www.usaplmn.com/wp-content/up...efficients.pdf

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you, sir! And congratulations on being so close. I'm already 50 and a bit further away from getting a sticker. Maybe by 55.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast