starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doug Brignole and his opposing views from SS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Theseahawk View Post
    Isn't it explained in the grey book that if you want to do bodybuilding stuff, you're best off doing your SS novice LP first? I thought it was, but admittedly it has been a while since I ready it through, so I could be wrong.
    It's probably in there, I have heard Rip voice that same sentiment multiple times. I'd go further and say if you don't manage to LP to very high numbers, then even continue doing intermediate programming until you get them. The best bodybuilders could all put up some big weights. Not the absolute biggest weights in the world, but big fucking weights for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    It's probably in there, I have heard Rip voice that same sentiment multiple times. I'd go further and say if you don't manage to LP to very high numbers, then even continue doing intermediate programming until you get them. The best bodybuilders could all put up some big weights. Not the absolute biggest weights in the world, but big fucking weights for sure.
    All I know is SS got me closer to my original bodybuilding desires than bodybuilding style training ever did.

I’m still hoping SS radio covers a bit more about hypertrophy training with Dr Israetel after having him on previously.

I saw this post on the weekend. Tonight I just finished my heavy program. Directly in front of me posted to my bulletin board is a copy of an email sent to a few friends dated Dec 30, 2020.

In this email I outlined my strengths goals for 2021. Bench, Squat, Deadlift. No press.

I am 58 and have osteoarthritis in my neck. The press made me extremely nervous because setting off my neck is no fun.

I just finished 5 singles at 140 and I love this exercise. I work with JD out of Houston and we now have a target to reach for. I feel great after doing these and my concerns have been proven unfounded.

All I know is SS got me closer to my original bodybuilding desires than bodybuilding style training ever did.
    Same here. I wish I had the blue and gray books available as a teenager when I was trying to figure out how to train using Arnold's book. That is not a good resource for learning how to train and build a program, and laughably little guidance on how to actually perform the lifts compared to the blue book.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Same here. I wish I had the blue and gray books available as a teenager when I was trying to figure out how to train using Arnold's book. That is not a good resource for learning how to train and build a program, and laughably little guidance on how to actually perform the lifts compared to the blue book.
    Lots of pictures of hairless, oiled up men, though. What was I thinking with these books and magazines?! 🙈

My theory is that he's smart enough to open an anatomy book and flip to the skeleton section, but not smart enough to realize that the bony thingies in the pictures can move around.

Lots of pictures of hairless, oiled up men, though. What was I thinking with these books and magazines?! 🙈
    You were thinking they were full of information and tips on how to train and be just like those guys. Same reason I read them. Too bad nothing like that can be found in there. But yeah, sure are a lot of highly encouraging pictures for a teenager trying to learn of guys that they will never even approach even with good training.

My conspiracy theory is that these bodybuilding gurus intentionally put out bad information so as to limit their competition. Same with certain powerlifting gurus who advocate high bar squats and overcomplicated training templates.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    My conspiracy theory is that these bodybuilding gurus intentionally put out bad information so as to limit their competition. Same with certain powerlifting gurus who advocate high bar squats and overcomplicated training templates.
    It's certainly possible. Arnold has certainly been caught telling stories of how he intentionally gave competitors bad advice. I think a lot of it is just trying to cover for steroid use though. This is especially the case now with "celebrity body transformation" type stories. They love to hype them up and share the "secrets" which are inevitably weird diets no one will be able to maintain and lifting 6 hours every day or something, another thing no one will be able to do. The plebs get to try it and burn out, and go "man, I'm just not up to the challenge".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12