starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinups strength at all time lowest.

Default Chinups strength at all time lowest.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Age 35
    Height 5ft 11"
    Bodyweight 95kg
    Squat 92.5kg
    Deadlift 125kg
    PC 52.5kg
    Bench 60kg
    OHP 47.5kg

Hi guys first post.

Ive been using LP on and off for really the past 10 years. Would do 3-4 months at a time, then stop for around 6 months, rinse and repeat through the years.

Im currently 3 weeks into my current LP.

But during my last two B workouts ive encountered something ive not experienced before. Ive always been reasonably descent at chin-ups, 3 weeks in I would swap my B workout deadlift for powercleans and chin-ups. Normally my first chin-up session I would bang out about 6-7 clean reps for my first set, couple weeks later that would be around 10, then onto around 12-14 a few weeks after that. My first 6 reps have always been pretty explosive aswell.

So lockdown has ended, gyms open and im back on LP after about a year. I got 3 weeks in and added my chins as per usual. Approached the bar with my hands chalked and excited to bang them out. But on the first pull it felt like I had plates hanging from me, I struggled to do 1 full chinup (chin over bar) absolutely no explosiveness, felt like somone was hanging onto me. I thought this was pretty strange. So I just made up the excuse that it was to do with my muscle memory not kicking in yet or some bs like that, and the next session I will crack on like the old days.

So today I had my 2nd workout B with chins again, excited to prove myself wrong and full of excitement I took to the bar again, and same thing happened. I persevered and did 3, but if im honest none of them really counted as I couldnt get my chin over the bar.

Does this sound normal? Anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Should I just accept that im back to square one and start doing negatives and assisted chins? I know Im sounding a bit of a pussy, but this is a hard pill to swallow as I cant remember a time in my life when I couldnt bang out several. Maybe its an age thing (35) or maybe just being paranoid.

P.S my weight is about the same as my other attempts through the years at LP. Last March I was hitting about 12 on my first set.

Any comments appreciated guys, cheers.

Often, people who bang out a lot of chinups in their LP will progress until they experience elbow pain. You don't mention pain but still, it's possible you just did too many, too often and too bangy.

Stop doing them for a while. Like months. Do bent over rows or seated wide grip pull downs or any other accessory that will work your lats. There's no prize for getting the most chinups and it is not in itself an important enough exercise to stress over like you might do with a squat or deadlift issue.

So you're coming back from a layoff? How long?

Thanks for the replys guys.

Never had elbow pain, was just an excercise I enjoy doing and have always done reasonably well, so it was a bit wierd not even being able to do a full clean rep. I was thinking that based on my history that I would be up to 3 sets of 10 in a short space of time and that I could progress to weighted 3 x 5 LP. But will persevere with negatives or maybe assisted chins at the moment. Maybe my deadlift progression will help with lat strength.

@CommanderFun Last time I trained was around a year ago until the gyms closed for lockdown.

Out of curiosity I had bloods taken and my SHBG and Free Test levels are way high out of range which isnt right. Ive to speak to the doctor about my thyroid and liver function. I cant see that relating to my chinups though, all my normal excercises are progressing fine, though its still early in the progression.

1. You've been doing LP for 10 years.

2. You haven't trained in a year and are worried because you are detrained.

3. Your deadlift at 205 is (was) 275.

4. Your free test is too high.

You guys feel free to respond to this individual.

Calm down mate

1. On and off for 10 years few months at a time start/stop.

2. Not worried, just never came across not being able to complete a full chinup before.

3. Deadlift is currently at 275 lbs at week 4, still adding 10lbs each session without issues.

4. Thats what my results show.

Wasnt trolling, only asking a question. Thanks to those that answered respectully though.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulscaff1
    Calm down mate

1. On and off for 10 years few months at a time start/stop.

2. Not worried, just never came across not being able to complete a full chinup before.

3. Deadlift is currently at 275 lbs at week 4, still adding 10lbs each session without issues.

4. Thats what my results show.

Wasnt trolling, only asking a question. Thanks to those that answered respectully though.
    Rip is calm as a cucumber.
    You're detrained. You're weak. You're 95kg untrained, not a 95kg lifter. And you're 35, not 25 anymore as you were when you started on your circular LP journey.
    I think not being able to do chinups for a heavy-ish guy who hasn't trained in a year is normal.
    The lab result of your testosteron is not needed as an explanation.

Do Santana's protocol. Use the lat pulldown until you can do two or three reps at bodyweight, then move on to chin ups on the bar with some addition of the pulldown machine until you can do four or five reps on the chin up bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Do Santana's protocol. Use the lat pulldown until you can do two or three reps at bodyweight, then move on to chin ups on the bar with some addition of the pulldown machine until you can do four or five reps on the chin up bar.
    Cheers mate, yeah I looked through the forum and came across Santanas video the other day, im going to add this in.

Thanks for the input mate

starting strength coach development program
    Santana’s protocol works like a charm. I went from no chin up to five chin ups in three or four weeks, at a significant body weight, ten kilos more than you. Did the protocol twice a week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast